News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Low TSH,Low SHGB,erectile dysfunction?

Kostas - Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 pm

I was tested and found out that i had a low SHBG-8 ( range is 10-50) and the doctor gave me another set of exams in which i found out that i had low TSH but normal 0,86 while the range is 0.5-5 . I had these tests because i experience erectile dysfunction and i found a bit conflicting to have low SHBG ( which leads to Hypothyroidism) and low TSH (which leads to Hyperthyroidism). Could there be something wrong with my pituitary? Any ideas? Is it normal?

Also I have an enlarged prostate...do you think that this is connected with any of these??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 am

User avatar Hello,Low SHBG levels are found in hypothyriodism but per se low levels will not lead to hypothyroid status.
This test gives an idea about as to whether active free testosterone is available or is bound to this globulin.
Despite normal testosterone levels if the testosterone is mostly bound to globulin it wont be effective.Here SHBG levels would be increased and could cause erectile dysfunction.
Conversly if SHBG levels are low indicate that free testosterone is available.Obesity can reduce these levels too apart from hypothyroidsm,and cushings.
Hope this answers your question.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here