News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetic Hair loss

Rokuro - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello, its my first time posting here, so please bare with me.

I have had Type 1 Diabetes for about 7 years now. I have never really been in perfect control, and since I've had the Insulin Pump, i've been a lot worse about it. And I think I'm starting to see some very bad side effects. Like almost fainting with lows, getting extremely agitated and furious when high, and I've started to see my hair leave me at a significant speed.

I'm only 20 years old, and my hair is of course a big deal right now. I would like to keep it, as being a 20 year old diabetic bald guy would do wonders for my self esteem. But I was wondering if Diabetes could cause my balding and thinning of my hair. I've read various medical posts on the internet on the subject, and they all seem to say the same thing, as if they are all from the same medical journal entry: basically that hair loss can be associated with Diabetes, but nothing about it being fixed. What I have come to understand is that Diabetes puts the body under a lot of stress, and stress as we all know causes hair loss. My skin is also very very dry and unhealthy. Not so much that others can see, but I can see i when I look at it. My entire body is spotted with pimples as well. I was wondering if all of these have to do with Diabetes stress, and if I get in control of my sugars, if the hair loss could possibly reverse itself... or if the roots in my scalp are permanently damaged.

To sum it up, is there anyway to reverse Diabetic hairloss, and do you think this has to do with my diabetes with the information I gave you?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 am

User avatar Hello,Proper control of diabetic status,proper nutrition and minerals and vitamins will go a long way in improvement of your hair condition.The most important thing is to get your thyroid studies done.Hypothyroidism can lead to dry skin and listless hair.Stress conrtol is a must and you should think positively and do outdoor work outs like walking,gardening etc.By the end of the day a good result can be expected only if you learn to live a good life despite having diabetes.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here