Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetic Hair loss

Rokuro - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello, its my first time posting here, so please bare with me.

I have had Type 1 Diabetes for about 7 years now. I have never really been in perfect control, and since I've had the Insulin Pump, i've been a lot worse about it. And I think I'm starting to see some very bad side effects. Like almost fainting with lows, getting extremely agitated and furious when high, and I've started to see my hair leave me at a significant speed.

I'm only 20 years old, and my hair is of course a big deal right now. I would like to keep it, as being a 20 year old diabetic bald guy would do wonders for my self esteem. But I was wondering if Diabetes could cause my balding and thinning of my hair. I've read various medical posts on the internet on the subject, and they all seem to say the same thing, as if they are all from the same medical journal entry: basically that hair loss can be associated with Diabetes, but nothing about it being fixed. What I have come to understand is that Diabetes puts the body under a lot of stress, and stress as we all know causes hair loss. My skin is also very very dry and unhealthy. Not so much that others can see, but I can see i when I look at it. My entire body is spotted with pimples as well. I was wondering if all of these have to do with Diabetes stress, and if I get in control of my sugars, if the hair loss could possibly reverse itself... or if the roots in my scalp are permanently damaged.

To sum it up, is there anyway to reverse Diabetic hairloss, and do you think this has to do with my diabetes with the information I gave you?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 am

User avatar Hello,Proper control of diabetic status,proper nutrition and minerals and vitamins will go a long way in improvement of your hair condition.The most important thing is to get your thyroid studies done.Hypothyroidism can lead to dry skin and listless hair.Stress conrtol is a must and you should think positively and do outdoor work outs like walking,gardening etc.By the end of the day a good result can be expected only if you learn to live a good life despite having diabetes.Best wishes.

|