Question: Hyperthryrodism with high ESR

SM Lim - Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I have been diagnosed with hyperthryrodism since the begining of Jan this year. My TSH is lesser than 0.019 and my t4 is 20 now which has been flacutating between 30-20 of t4 for the past 11 months. My concern is i have high ESR. I took blood test mid of last year and it was 28, early of this year 35 and 2 months ago 50. Now it has become 62. I wonder why i have such a high ESR and is increasing. Earlier of this year, I have some joint pains on my left hand and have seen the rheumatoid specialist but they ruled out of me having aritithies after the blood test. However I don't have any problem with the joints of my left hand now. Both my endocrin and rheumatoid specialist said that the joint pains of my hand and hyperthyrodism wouldnt not casue my ESR to be high. Is this true?

I wonder what is actually happening to me? What other observation must I make? Is there any test and find out what actually is happening to me? I hope i didnt contract any cancer or any serious disease. Kindly advise.

Thanking you in advance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:07 pm

User avatar HI,
It is well known that a number of other auto-immune disorders may co-exist with autoimmune forms of thyroiditis such as Graves' disease & Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (pernicious anemia, vitiligo,Rheumatoid arthritis,SLE--just to name a few).

Apart from the fact that ESR may be elevated in Grave's disease & Hashimoto's, it may be elevated in
- other autoimmune disorders,
- physiological elevations(female sex, pregnancy, during menstruation) &
- in obesity.
If all else turns out to be negative, one may attribute it to female sex and obesity.

|