News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Prolactinoma/dermatitis/hairloss/gynecomstia

fraggle1984666 - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello Doctor,

I've just recently been diagnosed with a Prolactinoma my levels were up in the 4800
and also low testosterone, im am 24 and since i was about 19 ive felt my whole body going down hill.

I first started to develop Bier spots that have gotten more permanent over time but less prominent, and then i began to get a lump under my left nipple that was sore.

Then i gained a lot of weight, developed Seb Dermatitis and my hair thinned diffusely all over in certain areas.

The lump dissappeared around a year later but when it went i was left with what looks like a small perky boob, if touch/squeeze it feels like a water balloon with no lump or anything.

I have been put on Cabergoline x2 a week for the prolactinoma and im starting to eat a lot less and losing weight which seemed impossible before my diagnosis despite living a very active life, but the more wieght i lose the more the puffy left nipple stands out.

I am living in the uk and it takes 5-6 months to see my Endocronoligist and my next appointment is march, but i really don't want to keep getting down about this till then.

Can my hairloss be caused by the prolactinoma itself ? and the dermatitis just ran along side at the same time ? and is gynecomstia caused by prolactinoma different from normal gynecomstia ? and what can i do to fix this ?

thanks

Kevin
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,Hairloss in hyperprolactinaemia is poorly understood.Yet recent experimental studies on murine hair cells and human hair have shown profound effect on catagen hairs in getting expressed there leading from growth to regression ie anagen to catagen.Organ cultures with scalp hairs with prolactin have shown this.Ref-Human Scalp Hair Follicles Are Both a Target and a Source of Prolactin, which Serves as an Autocrine and/or Paracrine Promoter of Apoptosis-Driven Hair Follicle Regression

Kerstin Foitzik*, Karoline Krause*, Franziska Conrad*, Motonobu Nakamura*, Wolfang Funk and Ralf Paus American Journal of Pathology. 2006;168:748-756.)
So it is quite possible that with treatment for your original condition hair growth could return.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here