News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Lipodystrophy caused by Vit D deficiency?

JakeHass - Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello,

25 female. I developed non-AIDS lipodystrophy that makes it uncomfortable to sit, walk, etc. because of loss of padding. I also had a severe Vit D deficiency and after taking D3 for a few months, the lipodystrophy improved a little. Could this be the cause of it in the first place? Might it continue to improve or do fat cells die? I supposedly don't have diabetes, a thyroid condition, or an adrenal condition. Is there any other endocrine cause to which lipodystrophy might be related?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 am

User avatar Hi,
You have not given details of the type of non-HIV lipodystrophy that you suffer from.From the given description, i tend to assume that it is a generalized lipodystrophy (because the 'partial' form tends to involve the face rather than the gluteal regions).Your description does not fit the 'localized' form as well.

Vitamin D deficiency per-se has not conclusively been shown to be the cause of lipodystrophy. But, resistance to insulin &/or vitamin D has been observed in some of the cases.
Some types of lipodystrophies may be associated with osteopenia, osteosclerosis and myopathies.

There are a vast variety of syndromes which are associated with non-HIV lipodystrophy.

You will need to be investigated fully before a firm diagnosis is arrived at.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here