Question: Fatigue and Cold Limbs

apple29 - Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi, I've been experiencing unusual fatigue and brain fog for past few months. Noticed that I also have blurred vision and very cold hands and feet at the same time. Quite often I experienced heart palpitations and fast heartbeat even at rest. During this period, I also wake up more frequently in the night without any particular reason, though I don't have problem falling asleep. As a result I don't feel refreshed after waking up and have trouble concentrating at work.

I'm quite certain this is not due to depression, though these symptoms do make me feel depressed at times :(

Went through thyroid test (TSH 0.9) and other blood tests that seems normal. Also did ultrasound for my heart and found no valve leakages. However, I did compared my blood test result done recently with the one done in 2008, and found a decline in wbc (2008: 5.35, Now: 4.8) and platelet count (2008: 190, Now: 165). Could this decline in wbc and platelet indicate something? My symptoms also resembles thyroid disorder but doc says TSH within normal range. I'm confused.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:02 pm

I note from your profile that you had pneumothorax in the past and had undergone surgery for the same.

What was the cause of this pneumothorax?. What kind of surgery was done? Any part of the lung was removed?. Had the lung fully expanded following the surgery?. These details are very pertinent in your case assessment.

The symptoms that you mention can be attributed to a number of illnesses including the ones you suspect.But,a meaningful conclusion can be arrived at, only after thoroughly examining and investigating you.

Again i would like to point out to you the importance of the thoracic surgery that you had gone through. Disorders leading to hypercarbia(increased partial pressure of CO2 in the blood) +/- hypoxia(low oxygen tension in the blood) are capable of manifesting the symptoms that you allude to.

The serial changes in the blood counts that you have mentioned do not seem to be very significant, but will be certainly co-related with the overall picture.

I urge you to consult your thoracic surgeon who, will be better placed to assess you and sort out these symptoms.
Good day!

|