Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Which is worse, hyperglycemia or Hypercholesterolemia?

tinyfaerie56 - Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 pm

I am a 22 year old female and I have been in a constant debate with my boyfriend of 6 months. I am a healthy eater, meaning I drink soda rarely, I love salads and prefer to eat things grilled instead of fried. My only weakness is that I have an extreme sweet tooth. Chocolate is my vice and I eat it at least once a day or I am not a pleasant person to deal with. I have admitted that it is an addiction but I do not think it is as bad as his.
He on the other hand eats fried chicken or fried seafood every other day for a "quick something to eat" and will go and get a hot sausage sandwich sometimes two to three times a week, if not more. I have been told that any type of animal organs are high in cholesterol so he should not be eating it as often as he does. He eats NO fruits, refuses to touch a salad, and will only eat vegetables if they are baked into a pizza. He also eats a lot of hot dog wieners, cooked in the microwave, which I am sure is not the healthiest.
So we are at wits end with each other because he has the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't eat so much sugar,and that I have to stop because it is killing me. When I bring up his fried food obsession, he tries to justify it saying he "exercises" which consist of running up and down his stairs, sometimes, and doing push ups and sit ups, about twice a week. It is not an everyday occasion. And in the end, we end up eating at some of the most unhealthiest places he can find, and splitting a fried seafood plate in attempts to save money.
I would love to know who has the worse problem, me and my sweet tooth, or him and his screaming arteries, so we can end the constant arguing about where and what we eat from now on.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Hello, tinyfaerie56,

Do either of you actually have the diagnoses you're quarreling about? Your description suggests a relationship problem that could use some attention, vs. comparing potential diseases. If money is an issue, perhaps you could seek counseling through a public mental health agency, which usually has a sliding-scale fee structure so that you would pay only what you can reasonably afford. I strongly encourage you to consider it.

Both hyperglycemia and hypercholesterolemia have significant complications. It is a little like comparing apples and oranges - there is a common denominator, but they are very different. Your central issue is that each of you denies that your particular indulgence in an unhealthy lifestyle is as bad as the other person's. And that brings us back to addressing the relationship issue: respecting each other's choices, working together for the betterment of both, mature and realistic discussions of issues, planning healthy food choices that allow some favorites of both, and financial planning.

Good luck to both of you,
 tinyfaerie56 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 am

Thank you for the response Ms. Lang. The money is not a problem with us but more of the fact that we care more about the other person instead of looking at our own situations. You are correct. I say we split the plates a lot of times because we are both young adults and we figure it is a way to save with the economy being so bad.

Neither of us have the diagnosis but we both have family history in it. Mine is both diabetes and high cholesterol and his family history is in high cholesterol as well, even going so far as to loosing a parent young due to a heart attack. So when he tells me that he "exercises" and drinks water to justify his eating, I still get frustrated because I know the number one thing would be not to eat as much of the food. I care about him and do not want to see him down the same path as his parent. I am sure he feels the same way about me knowing I have diabetes on both sides of my family.

And because of this I am also trying to better myself by not suggesting we hit up as many doughnut shops or pastry stores. I will work on my chocolate craving by doing something I read online and tricking my brain with other spices like cinnamon to think it is getting something sweet when it really isn't. Also by turning down the usual eating places, though it may cause arguments because its out of the ordinary, will give me at least a healthier option so even if he chooses not to have a salad, that is his decision. I can only focus on a healthier option, ignore the dessert section, and exercise with him to let him know that he is not alone and I am willing to help.

Thank you very much for your help. It was greatly appreciated.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi tinyfaerie56,

Thank you so much for the update. Making changes is difficult, but can be very rewarding - especially to your health. You seem determined to alter your lifestyle as needed, and that's a definite positive!

Keep well,

|