Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers
provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not
replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site
visitor and his/her physician."
Back to Endocrinology Answers List
- Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:15 pm
I have hypothyroid and my parents (mother and father) both have this symptom as well as my sister. we all take medication for this and i am taking levothyroxine 0.088MG. My question is why cant i loose weight? i am a vegetarian no eggs/fish/meat. I don't drink pop/juices or eat chips or fries. I eat whole grain bread and kashi cereal and my main meals are mostly lentils with rice and coffee almost once a day. Is there a dieases that my whole family has that we should get tested for? the weight situation is true for my mother, father, sister and myself.
| Dr.M.Aroon kamath
- Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 am
Hypothyroidism can be
- congenital or
Congenital hypothyroidism is sporadic.This is due to congenital agenesis or dysgenesis of the thyroid gland.
Some of the causes of aquired hypothroisism are:
- Medications(interleukin-2,interferon alpha,lithium,amiodarone etc),
- Autoimmune disease (Subacute thyroiditis, hashimoto's thyroiditis),
- post-operative: (removal of part or all of the thyroid gland),
- Too little or too much dietary iodine,
- pituitary Dysfunction (post surgery,radiation,trauma etc),
- Rare infiltrative disorders of the thyroid(ex;hemochromatosis,
amyloidosis & sarcoidosis),
- Radiation treatment( irradiation to the neck, I131ablation of thyroid).
When a number of closely related people in a family are affected, it is tempting to call it 'familial'. This kind of a 'familial' pattern may be due to
- instances wherein, persons in a family are exposed to some environmental factors (ex:dietary goitrogens),
- truely familial cases (where, a familial pattern is seen - but, no genetic abnormality has yet been identified. An example of this is familial hashimoto's disease)), or
- heriditary cases (where a genetic abnormality has been identified).
There are a number of genetic causes of hypothyroidism reported.
- Familial thyroid dyshormonogenesis: inborn errors of thyroid hormone synthesis, secretion, or uptake Hypothyroidism which are autosomal recessive disorders.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) unresponsiveness: It is a ery rare autosomal dominant disorder.Laboratory findings usually show raised serum TSH, low to normal serum thyroxine, and low radioactive iodine uptake. Goitre is usually not seen.
- Hereditary hypothyroidism due to TSH deficiency is a rare autosomal recessive disease. Symptoms of severe mental and growth retardation is seen in the affected individuals. These severe consequences can be prevented by early administration of exogenous thyroid hormone.
In your case one may proceed in the following way:
- first to exclude environmental factors.
- If no enviromental factors are identifiable, then one must try to exclude familial hashimoto's disease. If this is negative, then
- one must look for the rare heriditary causes.