News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: hypothyroid and weightgain

ultimatehosting - Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi

I have hypothyroid and my parents (mother and father) both have this symptom as well as my sister. we all take medication for this and i am taking levothyroxine 0.088MG. My question is why cant i loose weight? i am a vegetarian no eggs/fish/meat. I don't drink pop/juices or eat chips or fries. I eat whole grain bread and kashi cereal and my main meals are mostly lentils with rice and coffee almost once a day. Is there a dieases that my whole family has that we should get tested for? the weight situation is true for my mother, father, sister and myself.
Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 am

User avatar Hi,
Hypothyroidism can be
- congenital or
- aquired.

Congenital hypothyroidism is sporadic.This is due to congenital agenesis or dysgenesis of the thyroid gland.

Some of the causes of aquired hypothroisism are:
- Medications(interleukin-2,interferon alpha,lithium,amiodarone etc),
- Autoimmune disease (Subacute thyroiditis, hashimoto's thyroiditis),
- post-operative: (removal of part or all of the thyroid gland),
- Too little or too much dietary iodine,
- pituitary Dysfunction (post surgery,radiation,trauma etc),
- Rare infiltrative disorders of the thyroid(ex;hemochromatosis,
amyloidosis & sarcoidosis),
- Radiation treatment( irradiation to the neck, I131ablation of thyroid).

When a number of closely related people in a family are affected, it is tempting to call it 'familial'. This kind of a 'familial' pattern may be due to
- instances wherein, persons in a family are exposed to some environmental factors (ex:dietary goitrogens),
- truely familial cases (where, a familial pattern is seen - but, no genetic abnormality has yet been identified. An example of this is familial hashimoto's disease)), or
- heriditary cases (where a genetic abnormality has been identified).

There are a number of genetic causes of hypothyroidism reported.
- Familial thyroid dyshormonogenesis: inborn errors of thyroid hormone synthesis, secretion, or uptake Hypothyroidism which are autosomal recessive disorders.

- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) unresponsiveness: It is a ery rare autosomal dominant disorder.Laboratory findings usually show raised serum TSH, low to normal serum thyroxine, and low radioactive iodine uptake. Goitre is usually not seen.

- Hereditary hypothyroidism due to TSH deficiency is a rare autosomal recessive disease. Symptoms of severe mental and growth retardation is seen in the affected individuals. These severe consequences can be prevented by early administration of exogenous thyroid hormone.

In your case one may proceed in the following way:
- first to exclude environmental factors.
- If no enviromental factors are identifiable, then one must try to exclude familial hashimoto's disease. If this is negative, then
- one must look for the rare heriditary causes.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here