Question: Seizures at pre-menopause, doubt epilepsy diagnosis

sporty03 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I have experienced mild (partial and partial complex) epileptic seizures sporadically since the onset of pre-menopause in 2003. Sometimes they occur monthly as a period would, other times they go for 1 to 5 years without happening at all. 99% of the time they happen 30 minutes after I wake in the morning, but never when my mind is actively engaged in any task, such as driving or even talking. I cannot find any sort of doctor who will make the connection between hormones and seizures...the neurologist just wants to give me anti-epileptic drugs without further research. At my suggestion, the endocrinologist prescribed progesterone cream, which was or wasn't successful as I had nothing to measure it against. I used that for about 6 months but then weaned myself off of it to see if the seizures would start again. They did, but not within a significant period of time. I tend to think this is not truly epilepsy but temporary due to fluctuating hormones. My last period (I thought) was in June 2008, but just last month (June 2010) I had another one.

Before the seizures in 2003 my periods started to become erratic. Unfortunately I went to a GYN and she put me on one of those extended birth control pills so I would only have 4 periods per year. None of them agreed with me (made me sick) so I decided not to take them. However, I took myself off them too suddenly and went into withdrawals. Got my first headache EVER at 42 and it was a migraine that landed me in the ER. Less than a week later the seizures started. They were numerous and unpredictable for a short time, but started gradually to follow a monthly pattern. Then they just faded away altogether. Five years later they started up again, this time on a monthly basis, seemingly in place of a period. I blame the whole thing on those birth control pills. I am a very health conscious individual with no family history of anything and this shouldn't be happening.

My question is which type of doctor to see, neurologist, endocrinologist or something entirely different? The neurologists only want to treat the seizures, not research why they're happening so I can stop them naturally. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find a doctor who makes the connection like I have. I learned that estrogen can be seizure-inducing and progesterone seizure-inhibiting. This is why I asked for the progesterone cream. Should I just go with the neurologist and take the drugs? I really don't want to but I have to stop the seizures, even as intermittent as they are. I can't be the doctor, but I can't get the doctors to hear me. I hope you can help.

Thank you.
 sporty03 - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Just a little more information might be needed....I've had and MRI and 2 EEG's. No tumors or anything of that nature were found. When they've tried to induce seizures with the usual culprits, nothing happens.

|