News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Is it safe to lay down if your blood glucose level is 30?

lilredneckwoman - Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 pm

I have hypoglaucmia. I tested my sugar level about an hour ago with a reading of 30, I checked it multiple times. I ate dinner about 2 hours prior, with dessert and a snack. Once I got the reading I ate ice cream to try to raise it. I am really shaky and dizzy and would like to lie down. Is it safe?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 am

User avatar Hi,
You have not indicated which particular method was used in testing your blood sugar.I assume it was using a glucometer.

As per ISO 15197 standards, glucometers must provide results that are within 20% of a laboratory standard 95% of the time for concentrations about 75 mg/dL. For lower levels of blood sugar, they should approximate the 'absolute'(100%) laboratory standard levels.

It is extremely important that at blood sugar values around the lower limit of the laboratory normal range,the glucometer should deliver accurate values. This is crucial in type 1 diabetics taking insulin. Unfortunately, all glucometers may not be accurate enough at the lower blood sugar levels.

Some of the factors affecting the accuracy of glucometers:
- calibration of the meter,
- dirt on the instrument,
- ambient temperature(sampling capillary blood from a finger or a heel that is too cold, can give a falsely-low blood sugar readings),
- humidity levels,
- size and quality of blood sample,
- pressure use to wipe off the test strip(if applicable),
- high blood levels of certain substances (ex; ascorbic acid),
- hematocrit of thesample,
- shelf life of the strips,
- slight delays in transferring the blood sample to the meter (blood that has begun to clot may yield very low readings) etc.

Therefore, i suggest that you should have your blood sugar values checked in a laboratory and look for a correlation with your symptoms.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here