News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hypothyroid and joint pain

InsaneElayne - Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:36 pm

I was just recently diagnosed hypothyroid in the early stages of hashimotos, so I haven't started taking the meds yet, but for the past month I have been waking up with severe joint pain in my fingers and balls of my feet. Sometimes the pain goes away and sometimes it doesn't. I was afraid I was developing arthritus which I really don't want at the age of 23. I asked my doctor if this could be related to my hypothyroisism, but he didn't seem to really know. I looked on the internet and there are resources that seem to "kind of" say that they are related, but nothing too trust worthy. I just want to know if hypothyroidism does cause the kind of joint pain I described, and if it could potentially go away when I start taking my thyroid pills.
Thankyou.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:14 am

User avatar Hi InsaneElayne,
Signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are fatigue, weight gain, increased sensitivity to cold, muscle aches, joint pain and stiffness, etc. Your symptoms should improve with the medication. In my opinion your symptoms would be more likely attributed to the hypothyroidism rather than arthritis. Here is a web link for you to view if you would like.
Click here
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here