News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Will thyroid medication help my anxiety symptoms

vicnathan - Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 pm

I have been dealing with anxiety and prescribed antianxiety medication. I went to another doctor to get a second option and she tested my thyroid. The results were TSH 0.2, T4 1.7 and T3 93.8. I then was referred to an endocrinologist who said I was clinical hyperthyroidism and took blood work all over again. Do you think going on thyroid medication would help?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 am

User avatar Hi,
As you have not included the 'laboratory reference ranges' for the values of your thyroid function tests, meaningful interpretation is rather difficult.

Subclinical hyperthyroidism has been associated with subtle cognitive impairment and this is seen to occur mostly in the elderly.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2631617/).

The association between thyrotoxicosis and mental changes is still being elucidated. It is increasingly being realized that thyrotoxicosis can 'cause' and manifest with neuropsychiatric symptoms.

The most common mental changes observed in thyrotoxic individuals are , anxiety, apprehension, emotional lability, irritability, and disorders of concentration.
Abnormalities of cognition include,
occasional impaired short-term memory, a shortened attention span, and distractibility.
Psychosis is rare, but some patients may present with a frank psychosis associated with delusions & paranoia. An higher incidence of depression has also been reported.

It has been observed since many years that the elderly thyrotoxic patients may present in strikingly different fashion from younger patients. Rather than exhibiting hyperactivity and anxiety, these patients tend to present with a more “apathetic” clinical picture, including lethargy, depression, and pseudodementia.

You have not mentioned if you have consulted a psychiatrist for your anxiety symptoms. If your repeat thyroid function test results show a picture of frank thyrotoxicosis, you will be of course treated for that. On the other hand, if results show 'subclinical' hyperthyroidism, it is best left to your psychiatrist and endocrinologist to take a decision jointly as to how the subclinical thyrotoxic state should be managed.You may of course voice your concerns.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here