Question: Hair Loss + Low Globulin and High A/G Ratio

Cowboy42 - Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:00 pm

My HFP and CBC and TSH, 3rd Generation all came back normal within the Quest Diagnostics range. The only abnormal reading was that my Globulin is 2.0 (low) and my A/G Ratio is 2.2 (high). TSH, 3rd Gen is 1.91. My WBC is 9.1 Please let me know if you need any more test results.

I have been losing a lot of hair quickly. I am wondering if the A/G ratio being high and globulin being low could be a factor in the hair loss? I have been very stressed and have had a loss of a friend. I have also moved abruptly and lost weight due to feeling nauseated. I have also stopped and started birth control pills and have been taking antibiotics for chronic sinusitis. I am currently feeling somewhat better since all of the above, but my hair is still falling out. I am eating healthier, exercising some, and trying to decrees stress. I do not feel as if I can settle for a diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia without finding out what the A/G ratio and Globulin levels being off means. The dermatologist wants me to start monoxidil and propecia but I am nervous to take them if the diagnosis is incorrect. No tests were done by the dermatologist. Any thoughts as to how and if the A/G ratio could affect hair loss?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am

User avatar Hello,Diffuse hair loss in women is indeed a very disturbing problem.Androgenic alopecia is the commonest cause followed by telogen effluvium,iron deficiency, thyroid disease and protein deficiency.
In telogen effluvium the weak hairs fall only to recover after some time.Stress is an important factor here,so also during convalescence after infective diseases this happens.Everybody loses telogen hairs but here it is a sudden loss.
In men there is bi temporal recession but in women the loss is central ie top of scalp.Under the influence of androgens the terminal hairs get converted to vellus hairs and this process is known as miniaturization.Are there genes involved in this?Possibly yes.
You are worried whether this is related to albumin and globulin.Lowered albumin can lead to hairfall.Globulins are mainly immunoglobulins.A percentage of normal people have reduced IgG sub sect with out symptoms.Hypogammaglobulinemias may be associated with localized hair loss,ie alopecia areata.But these are not seen in androgenic alopecia.
There is one important information relating to globulins.The degree of baldness can be correlated to reduced concentration of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin(SHBG) leading to elevated levels of free circulating testosterone.
Quite a few women present with polycystic ovarian syndrome and alopecia.Also during menopause oestrogen levels decrease leading to an androgenic environment and resultant hair loss.
Hope this answers your questions
With my best wishes.
 Cowboy42 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Thank you Dr. Kamath,

Are there any other blood tests you recommend that I take in order to get a solid diagnosis of this hair loss?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm

User avatar Hello,Baseline investigations would include serum prolactin,lutenizing hormone,Follicle stimulating hormone,testosterone and SHBG levels.Iron and ferritin levels.
If there is no evidence of PCOS like amenorrhoea oligomenorrhoea,hirsutism galactorrohea, some physicians do treat based on clinical diagnosis alone.

|