News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: can neuropothy occur before diabetes is discovered?

problems101 - Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:10 pm

hi,

I've delt with my chronic pelvic pain for 4 years.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 1 year ago when my sugar was 550 & I went blurry.

I seen an obgyn today, we talked that my previous obgyn removed my left ovary & did a hysterectomy this past april but since my pain remains, He believes it to be neuropothy. He said he could be wrong.

My question is. can neuropothy occur before diabetes is discovered?

I thougth neuropothy is a result of long term untreated diabetes.

He also prescribed, gabapentin & physical therapy and to find an endocrinologist.

when he did my pelvic exam he said crystals were developing at the site of the hysterectomy so he burned them off. What causes this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 pm

User avatar Hello,There is emerging evidence that idiopathic neuropathy with no identifiable cause may be caused by impaired glucose tolerance, as in prediabetes which is a part of metabolic syndrome.Journal of neurological sciences-Volume 242, Issue 1, Pages 9-14 (15 March 2006)
So it is quite possible that it could be a diabetic neuropathy,though the neuropathy traditionally it is though to be a complication after many years as a diabetic.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here