Question: Hyperthyroidism

Ken - Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:52 pm

I've read that hyperthyroidism is common in some Japanese villages were diets are high in iodine from fish and seaweed. My diet over the past 10 years has been rich in iodine (and other nutrients) due to my using meal replacement powders for body building (I've gained 60 pounds of muscle in 10 years, due in large part to high protein, high nutrient meal replacement powders).
My question is; could my iodine rich diet be responsible for my recent diagnosis of hyperthyroidism?? Should a person diagnosed with hyperthyroidism reduce his/her iodine intake?
 Dr. Shank - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:32 pm

Dear Ken:

I think that this and your companion posting are the oldest unanswered endocrine questions in the Forum. I hope that you will still get this reply.

High intake of iodine can cause hyperthyroidism in persons who already have thyroid gland abnormalities. From your description, however, I assume that you have Grave's hyperthyroidism. Most likely, you would have become hyperthyroid anyway.

It is too late now, but I hope that the physician who prescribed your radioactive iodine therapy was aware of your high iodine intake, because that would reduce the amount of radioactive iodine that was taken up by your thyroid gland to less than he would otherwise expect.

|