Question: side effects with Levothyroxine

Jason'sgirl - Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Hello, two weeks ago I went to the doctor for fatigue. He did blood work and said I was hypothyridic with hashimoto's disease. He prescribed 50mcg of levothyroxine. The first few days I was very jittery, but the doctor said it was normal. The forth day I had a major episode where my heart was pounding fast and I was shaking and feeling very anxious. The doctor told me to cut the dose in half. Now after being on 25mcg for a little over a week I am still having these side effects. I have an app. with an endocrinologist in 4 weeks. I am wondering if these side effects are normal and if I should discontinue the meds until I see the specialist. My thyroid was 6.4. I am a 35 year old woman. Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

It is rather unusual for a levothyroxin dose of 50ug/day to cause such effects in a allegedly hypothyroid adult individual.

Therefore, other contributory causes for your symptoms must be looked for.In individuals who take to thyroxin as an antiobesity drug, especially in conjunction with other agents such as ephedrine or caffeine are at an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism-like symptoms. Stress and Anxiety are also to be considered in this scenario.

You have not given details of your thyroid profile. The history supplied lacks detail. In this situation, the best i can offer is some general advice.

It will be better for you to review your medications (including herbal). Some cough syrups contain caffeine.Caffeine is present in many dietary sources such as some soft drinks,inks, candy bars, coffee, tea, cola etc.

Discuss with your doctor about these aspects and he/she will be able to guide you through this.

|