Question: Thyroid problems losing hair and unable to get to a doctor

infrance - Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello Doctors

Please can you help me. I am currently working on a yacht and am unable to get to a doctor until November. The most I will be able to do is run into a pharmacy. I have been told my a naturopath before that I have thyroid problems, i do not even know the exact termanolagy but I had very little energy and was gaining weight and had other thyroid related symptoms. Is this overactive thyroid? She gave me something that i took for a short period before traveling abroad. I did not take an extra supply with me.

I am hungry all the time am gaining wait and have very little energy and my hair is falling out. When i was on the pills the Naturopath gave me I got energy back and feel i was starting to feel normal again. I believe I also have slightly more male hormones, again here i do not know the correct termanolagy.

Is there something i can ask for over the counter at a pharmacy to tide me over till i see a doctor personally in November? Also something to thicken or my hair or fix this problem.

Please please please help, Im literally stranded in the ocean and this online advice is my only way of fixing the solution, temporarily in any case!!!!!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Hello infrance,

This is a difficult situation. Your symptoms are typical of a low-functioning thyroid, but confirmation of that can only be made through blood tests for thyroid function. I will list some substances that claim to be helpful in thyroid stimulation, but cannot actually recommend any of them. They are unregulated and most are available over the counter. A decision to use them must be made at your own risk. Perhaps one will sound similar to the one you had success with previously. "Thyroid Helper" claims to be the top supplement to improve thyroid function. It's available online, and I do not know if it's available in pharmacies or health food stores. L-tyrosine, iodine, bladderwack (a type of seaweed), progesterone, and adrenal and thyroid glandulars are listed as naturopathic remedies. I encourage you to see a doctor at your earliest opportunity.

Good luck to you.

|