Question: Blood Tests for Sex Hormones

weNeedLove - Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if it is possible to run blood tests screening for specific things in my blood. In particular, I would like to measure levels of SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) and DHT. The reason is that I have changed my diet drastically during the last two months in an effort to reduce serum DHT levels as a possible means of abating male pattern baldness.

Would such a test be covered by good insurance? I want to know if I can go into my doctor's office and ask him "Can you test for these things in my blood?"

Thank you,
MP
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:35 am

User avatar Hello,The most important thing here is to know about androgenic alopecia is that there is a genetic angle to this.Many a times you would find normal testosterone levels but it is the response of the hair follicle that matters.If the follicle is tuned to convert testosterone to dihidro form by alpha reductase enzyme overactivity, it will lead to miniaturization of the hair.Thus it may not be necessary to run these tests in men, except perhaps iron levels and tests for hypothyroidsm.

|