News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hyper-prolactinemia

Chig - Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello Doctors,

I recently had blood tests that showed I have elevated levels of prolactin. I do not know the exact levels unfortunately. The doctors were confused as I do not take any medications that would cause this.

I suffer some symptoms such as irregular periods and headaches, however I do not have lactating breasts or a low sex drive- if anything I think its too high. Also I do not have PCOS, so its nothing to do with that.

Other symptoms I suffer from are:
-Excessive female facial hair, hair on stomach and on chest.
-Extreme tiredness most, if not all, of the time
-Constant nausea
-Weight gain despite reasonable diet - I've gained about 2 stone in the last year and I eat once a day.

Can you please tell me what it is that is likely to be wrong with me and what kind of things will they do when I go to the endocrinologist, as I cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone.

Also can you tell me if weight gain is associated with hyperprolactinomia and if so is treatment sucessful in returning a person to a normal weight?

And I would like to know if infertility due to hyperprolactinemia is reversable?

I'm very worried and cant seem to find any answers. The weight gain, hair growth and infertility is extremely depressing and the tiredness and nausea is very difficult to live with. Please can you help me?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:07 pm

User avatar Hello,While it is very difficult to give a meaningful reply with out the investigations yet I would venture to offer a birds eye view of hyperprolactinemias.
As you would know this hormone is secreted by the pitutary gland and is important hormone secreted during pregnancy and lactation.Sleep stress,nipple stimulation,sexual orgasm are the other physiological causes.Pitutary adenomas represent the main pathological cause other than drug induced and hypothyroid related.Amenorrhea,galactorrohea,and infertility are the cardinal features.Basal fasting PRL levels are measured for assessment of hypersecretion.Oral dopamine antagonists,carbegoline,bromocriptine and surgery in resistant cases are the treatment for adenomas.Bromocriptine is used to restore fertility.
Being a hormone with pulsatile nature false elevations are encountered due to wide variations in individuals.MRI evidence of pitutary mass is a relevant investigation.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here