News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Reversal of type 2 Diabetes

12diamonds - Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

I have seen a number of articles and books saying that type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet and exercise. Obviously the authors want you to buy their book but I don't want to be conned. Can anyone tell me if this is possible before I go and buy one of these books? All advice welcome.

Regards

Diamond
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have seen actual cases where this was reversed, particularly when excess weight was shed. For a person who is morbidly obese, weight loss surgery has often resulted in the diabetes (type 2) going away. In type 1 the pancreas is not producing insulin but in type 2 the body isn't able to regulate and use the insulin it makes properly. This is why type 2 may be reversed while type 1 cannot.

Exercise and diet can result in weight loss and thereby the same kind of reversal. I don't know anything about the book, but if it is about weight loss in obese patients, I do understand this to be correct. Beyond that I can't say what kind of diet and exercise might do this. The cases I know of all needed to lose weight and they were cured when they did so.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here