"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Reversal of type 2 Diabetes

12diamonds - Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

I have seen a number of articles and books saying that type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet and exercise. Obviously the authors want you to buy their book but I don't want to be conned. Can anyone tell me if this is possible before I go and buy one of these books? All advice welcome.

Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I have seen actual cases where this was reversed, particularly when excess weight was shed. For a person who is morbidly obese, weight loss surgery has often resulted in the diabetes (type 2) going away. In type 1 the pancreas is not producing insulin but in type 2 the body isn't able to regulate and use the insulin it makes properly. This is why type 2 may be reversed while type 1 cannot.

Exercise and diet can result in weight loss and thereby the same kind of reversal. I don't know anything about the book, but if it is about weight loss in obese patients, I do understand this to be correct. Beyond that I can't say what kind of diet and exercise might do this. The cases I know of all needed to lose weight and they were cured when they did so.