Question: post surgical (graves disease) hypothyroidism

pissedoff - Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:08 pm

in 05, had sudden thyroid storm, TSH 0.01. diag. with graves disease. have been to 5 dirrernet endo. specialists. my TSH, T3 levels are still all over the place. my TSH is either very hi or very low no matter the dosage of synthroid. my T3 is consistantly below the norm! i have gained over 60 lbsl within 3 months of surgery. am still gaining. cannot loose the weight. symtoms? bloated, hair loss, brittle nails, constipated, memory loss and fuzziness, extreme joint pain over and above the arthritis i have. my knee replacements are killing me!(2004, 2005). after 5 doctors, i am tired of being tired. does anyone have any suggestions. i had to force the 4th dr. to allow me to take a T3 suppliment, but cannot take too much because of the damage done to my heart from the graves disease. (afib.) am on heart meds for this.

all i get from these "specialists" is go to the gym! i have sob and copd due to the graves disease. HELP!!!!!!!!!! the drs. do not listen to me, they only look at the labs and do whatever, without really looking at my condition. this has been going on for almost 5 years!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank you for the post. Although your post gives a detailed account of your distressing symptoms(understandably), there is unfortunately a paucity of detail regarding the past history (for example, was the thyroid storm precipitated by thyroidectomy or some other event, when exactly the surgery was performed, how much of thyroxin you are on, what are the results of the recent thyroid function tests etc).Without these details, unfortunately, not much of an opinion can be offered.

|