News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Testosterone levels and anxiety/panic disorder

mcfly_24 - Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Good Day,

I am a 36 year old male suffering from anxiety (GAD). Up until 9 months ago I had no idea what GAD actually meant and anxiety was just for nervous people. I now know that this condition is very real and can be quite debilitating. My concern is that I believe my testosterone levels or lack there of are driving the anxiety. I will give you a bit of a time line of events leading up to my diagnosis of GAD.

3 years old- corrective surgery for undescended testes.(successful on right side)
8 years old- corrective surgery for left side undescended teste.(not successful)
13 years old- put on a hormone therapy to help coerce puberty with one immature teste.
16 years old- left side orchiectomy and insertion of prosthetic teste.
Married at 28 found to be infertile at 30.
36 years old- testosterone levels found to be damn near non existant.
36 years old- right side orchiectomy and insertion of prosthetic teste. (due to microlithiasis)
36 years old- put on hormone replacement therapy indefinetly

I had a panic attack in October of 2009 and (never had one before) thought I was having the big one (family history of heart attacks) rushed to emergency plugged into all the machines, ecg comes back just fine, everything settles down and I am released. Quite relieved but very concerned as to what had transpired. I tried to continue my job (pilot) but found that I was getting a lot of anxiety every trip. Arms tingling, eyes hyper focusing etc. and had to quit. GP put me on Wellbutrin xl basically at the same time as I began the Androgel regime. Since being on Androgel, my libido has hugely increased, more muscle tone, hair growth etc. I feel really good, in fact better than ever.

My question is this, could a lifetime of likely having very low testosterone levels be blamed for my anxiety issues? Are there other tests I should insist upon getting done? I would inevitably love to get off of the Wellbutrin.

I appreciate your time and assistance!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 pm

User avatar Hello,The role of low testosterone in andropause has been studied.There is some evidence that declining testosterone levels are associated with increasing anxiety symptoms.Replacement of testosterone has helped these people.Also there is a case reported with a patient with an orchidectomy and hypogonadism benefiting from testosterone relacement.His anxiety state was relived after testosterone.
Am J Psychiatry 157:1884, November 2000.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Anxiety

MARC A. COOPER, M.D., and ELSPETH CAMERON RITCHIE, M.D.
Washington, D.C.
As to withdrawing wellbutrin your physician would have to decide based on the symptoms.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here