Question: Frustrated ... can you help?

Cherbear98 - Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 pm

I am not sure of the appropriate place to post this to get a good response. I am a 25-year-old female, and I have a problem. I started having a problem with my stomach hurting badly every time I ate in 1998. This has not yet been solved. Since that time, my weight has skyrocketed; I am heavier than I have ever been. I am 5’2” and weigh 207. I was “diagnosed” with lactose intolerance. For a year I changed my diet to rid myself of all dairy products, even including beets, peas, and beef, which although only have a miniscule amount of lactose, still seemed to bother my stomach. I lost then regained 30 pounds, and kept gaining in this year. I started having migraines in this same year, which weren’t diagnosed until 2002. The stomach pain gradually increased even with this lactose-free diet. I started having horrible menstrual cramps and irregular bleeding, and have been living with my husband for over 5 years with NO birth control, and have never gotten pregnant. I went to an OB who diagnosed me with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and basically shook my hand and told me to lose some weight. That same OB office did a breast exam and told me that my breasts were filled with cysts but there were no lumps, then proceeded to ignore it and test nothing, which not only worried and scared me but made me angry because they gave me no answers to that. This year, I finally whined enough to my family doctor to get sent to a gastroenterologist <I think…. A GI Doctor>. He ran a lot of tests and told me that the stomach pain is Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and that I have gallstones but since that isn’t where my pain is that I shouldn’t worry about it. I am VERY frustrated, and would like a fresh opinion from someone with a clear slate to look at the whole picture. My main concern at this point is that while my doctors have come up with all these diagnoses, no one os doing anything to help me solve the problem. I understand that these are syndromes, and cant be “cured”, but I need some help relieving the symptoms, and losing weight, and I would like to be able to get pregnant and have children. My OB told me to get pregnant I need to lose weight, but from everything I have read about PCOS it causes weight gain? I have been on a very restricted lactose free diet, and the stomach pain doesn’t go away, and the GI gave me a med for the pain that contains 25% lactose. These pills make the pain way worse than it is if I just plain out drink a glass of 2 % milk.

I guess I am trying to ask, is there anything else that could be causing all these symptoms as a whole picture? And with these things in mind can anyone suggest a good way to lose weight? I am dairy free, and also a vegetarian, except for tuna fish. I do swim and hike regularly, and have tested normal on my blood sugar and thyroid. I’m just very frustrated and would appreciate any input, ideas, suggestions, or anything anyone has to offer! Thanks so much!
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:21 am

User avatar Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) causes irregular or absent menstrual cycles with evidence of excess male hormones causing facial hair growth, acne and hair thinning. It causing most women to become overweight and effect the egg production in the ovaries. It also causes skin tags and darkened pigment spots. The underlying cause of PCOS is an imbalance of hormones. A hormone you should have checked is insulin. Insulin problems can increase male hormone production by the ovaries. PCOS causes cholesterol levels to be higher putting woman at higher risk of heart disease so have that checked, also have your Thyroid checked, actually, a full bloodwork-up would be a good start if you haven’t had that done yet.

What I would recommend is finding an Endocrinologist and go from there. Endocrinologists deal with all the glands that help maintain and control the body’s energy levels, reproduction, growth, development, internal balance, response to stress and injury, hormones, etc. You may even find out what is causing your lactose intolerance, you may have a hiatal hernia or something, have you been checked for that?

|