Question: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

jeni5162 - Fri May 13, 2005 1:55 am

When I was eleven(I'm 21 now) I noticed a large lump on my neck one night that hadn't been there before. I was taken to the doctor the next day, and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I was put on synthroid and I took that for the next 5 years. When I was 15/16 I stoped taking the meds, a few years later I got sick and went to a clinic, They insisted on checking my hormone levels because I still have a rather large goiter. The tests came back compleatly normal it confused me but I went on with life. Again a few years after that I went to the doctor for strep and they insisted on checking my hormone levals, they came back normal. Then two years ago I went to my doctor because I had my period for 2 mos strate he check my hormone levals again and they came back normal. I still have several symtoms of the disease ie: brittle hair and nails, intollerance to cold, iregular periods, mild depesion, tiredness, and the goiter. I read somewhere that you can go into remission from Thyroiditis? If that is true and I have why do I still have all of these symtoms? Why are all of the doctors I have seen cofussed by this? I haven't been to a specialist in quit a while and I've had a laps in insurance coverage so it probably wouldn't be covered. I don't know what to do, I'm tired of having doctors say "that's odd" when refering to me. Can someone please give me some info on this so I'm not compleatly in the dark. Thank you -Jen
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sat May 14, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi! Hashimoto's thyroiditis can present as hyperthyroidism initially but most cases eventually turn hypothyroid. Your hormone levels need to be monitored over quite sometime because from your symptoms it appears that you would be requiring hormone supplements in the long run. Do you take any other drug??
 jeni5162 - Sun May 15, 2005 12:36 am

No I took the Synthroid for 5 years but for the past 6 years I haven't taken anything.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sun May 15, 2005 3:05 am

Hi! Could you inform me about your latest thyroid hormone levels and the TSH level?

|