Question: Facial and body hair not growing properly

doug18 - Sat May 14, 2005 7:11 pm

First of all, I'm an 18 year old male.

I started off quite normally in terms of hair growth. I have quite a lot of hair on my legs, around my penis and on my stomach, but hardly anything on my chest. I have facial hair in the moustache region and the chin, but on the sides of my face, only thin transparent hairs grow (ie: the same hairs that grow just before puberty and real facial hair appears)

Considering that I have quite a lot of hair in other areas, this seems strange to me, and I wonder whether my growth has been 'stunted', so that hair that should have developed on my chest and sides of my face didn't.

I would like to have the option to grow a beard if I want to, so I was wondering whether there was anything I could do to make real hair start to grow.

Thanks for your help.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun May 15, 2005 10:16 pm

User avatar Not all men develop full beards or hairy chests; it doesn't mean anything is wrong. You have hair on your legs, genitals and I assume your armpits. This is totally normal. Some men of Asian, Latin or Native American descent have sparse hair growth on the face and chest. Even if you don't fit this profile, it's normal, don't worry! :D
 doug18 - Mon May 16, 2005 4:54 am

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I can accept it's normal, but am I stuck with it? What I'd really like to know is whether there's anything I can do to stimulate hair growth, without any radical side effects.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 17, 2005 5:36 pm

User avatar I'm sorry, it's one of those things you have to accept about your body. There is nothing that will make it grow. But many, many women love bare chests! And less facial hair means less shaving and not much razor stubble - it doesn't mean you are any less of a man. :D
 mzep - Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi ! my problem is quite similar to doug18's. am a 23 year old male and my facial hair hasn't grown fully yet, it has been growing very slowly since puberty, only faster in the past couple of years, it looks like a severe case of "hirsutism" that some women suffer from, although my body hair appears to be normal.
i just wanted to know if it's normal that facial hair continue to grow thicker through the twenties? is it just my biological clock ticking slowly or some sort of a hormone disorder?
 happystudent - Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Doug18

If you want to grow a beard, try shaving yourself in the area where you don't have much hair (or thing hair), it tends to grow stronger as you shave it. I don't know if you have tried that, but I just thought it was worth mentioning!
 happystudent - Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Sorry, I meant THIN hair in the parenthesis above.

|