Question: Cushing's Syndrome

zyna - Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:37 pm

Hi!
I posted this message in the oncology section as well. but i think the endocrine section is much more suitable. Recently friends and family have noticed my face has gone rounder, alot like a moon face..i am trying to eat healthier..thinking it may just be unhealthy eating habits..but then someone mentioned to me that it could be a health problem. i looked it up on the internet and the only thing i could come up with was cushing's syndrome. I recently went to my doctor got a routine blood work done, did not mention this problem because to tell u the truth ..its sounds a littly silly..I also have acne which is a symptom of this disorder or could be just becaue im 20. I have gained weight on my mid section from the last 2 years. but the facial weight gain came to me just last summer..Everything was okay in the routine test. Do you think it could be this disorder. Im 20, Female. 5'5 118 pounds and no other symptoms have occured to me other than the things i am tellin you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:22 pm

User avatar Did he run an a.m. and p.m. cortisol level?
 zyna - Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:02 pm

Hmm.. Im not sure.. they did a basic blood work at about 5:00 pm.. usually they say that some abnormalities should show up in the blood work if any thing is wrong. Urine sample was also taken. But the thing is that i didn't ask them to check for this particular disorder, just went in for a routine blood work.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:16 pm

User avatar If your routine labs were normal, you probably do not have Cushing's. Other symptoms are important, like the fat accumulating on the back of your neck (buffalo hump) and the weight gain is mainly in the chest and back. Have you become more hairy? Mental instability? (Depression, euphoria, paranoia)? Basic anxiety would be common if you're worried and not considered abnormal.

If you are still very worried about it, ask your doctor to ease your mind, and see if he has any other suggestions. :D

|