News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Am I diabetic?

nicamb - Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:19 pm

First I should say that my mother and grandparents are diabetic. I have my blood sugar tested every 6 months, and there have been numerous times that it was too high or too low so I had to go back the next day.
Lately, I have noticed several changes in my health. I have been incredibly hungry and have therefore eaten more. I am even hungry as soon as I get done eating a large meal! However, I have LOST weight. Also my thirst has been insatiable and sometimes I feel like I have cotton in my mouth my mouth is so dry! More drinking=more trips to the bathroom, of course. Also my eyesight has definitely changed for the worst suddenly. I am sooo sleepy all the time and the past few days I have missed several classes because I was just too exhausted to get out of bed, and have taken a nap in the afternoon.
I checked my blood sugar yesterday using my mom's sugar-checker thing (sorry I don't know what it's called) and my sugar was 85, which is fine.
I really think that I'm showing some major diabetes symptoms... but my sugar checked out fine.
What could it be?? I'm getting really stressed about it!
Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:54 pm

User avatar Dear nicamb,

You home random blood sugar test is not in the diabetic range. However, random blood sugar levels are not used to tell whether you have diabetes or not. Rather, the gold standard for diagnosing diabetes is an elevated fasting blood sugar level of 140 mg/dl or above on at least two occasions.

In addition, these devices are prone to some false results so if you want to rule out diabetes properly you should do so by going to the lab or to your physician. Your physician may order an oral glucose tolerance test which basically requires you to fast - tests your fasting glucose level then your actually given fluid containing glucose to drink and your blood levels are taken 5 times during a 3 hour period.

Please take a look at this page which contains some info about diabetes and its diagnosis:

diabetes.htm" class="postlink">Diabetes

The symptoms you are complaining from could be many things in addition to diabetes. I can understand that you are worried since you also have a family history of the disease. All these symptoms could also be related to anxiety/ depression.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here