News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: do hormone levels fluctuate throughout the day?

jill - Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:31 pm

I have been having many unusual problems which seem to have a connection to hormones. They are most often much worse in the evening and night. The only explanation I have found that comes close to what I am experiencing is an endocrine myopathy of some sort. one of the problems i am having is producing breast milk at night. my GYN did a prolactin test in the morning and said it was fine so i cannot be producing milk. But I most definitely am. I am wondering if there is another hormone that might be responsible for producing milk, or if hormone levels flucuate during the day. i am also getting muscle spasms, tetany, tingling in my whole body, and my blood pressure fluctuates dramtically. This all happens at the same time as the milk production. Would it make sense to see an endocrinologist? And if so, if there are blood tests, should I take them when I am at my worst? Thank you very much for your time. It is greatly apreciated.
 medicalman - Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:42 pm

The symptoms that you are describing seem to be of hypercalcemia i.e increased calcium in the body.. this would explian the tetany, muscle spasms etc. One of the conditions that can cause this is Hyperparathyroidism .. which is what happens when the parathyroid gland starts overfunctioning.. also this can happen as a disease of the gland itself or of the pituitary.. which is the "master gland" that also produces prolactin... i think with the limited information you provided and without examining you it is at this point reasonable that you see either your primary care provider (who wouldve known you for several years) or see an endocrinologist... in any case further workup is warranted.
hope this helps.
 jill - Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:23 pm

Thank you so much for the quick response. unfortunately I do not have a primary care doctor at the moment, but i am planning to go to an endocrinologist next week. can hormones cause problems with balance and nausea too?
 medicalman - Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:22 pm

Absolutely.. they can..
Endocrinologist is a good idea.
best of luck
 jill - Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:52 pm

thank you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here