Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: pre diabetes? was the test right?

splume - Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:08 pm

My 3.5 yr old boy is overweight he is in th 97% for his weight which put him at risk for developing type 2 diabetes... He is constantly thirsty and has chronic "stomache aches" the other morning he refused his breakfast but drank half a cup of gatorade . by the time we got to daycare he was naseaus and vomited. I went out and purchased an A1C test kit. I did the test as instructed... although after collecting the blood and squeezing the tube into the dilution tube, the blood came out as a clotted tube. I shook and shook the vial, but it would not dissolve.. I continued the test and squeezed the appropriate amount onto the test monitor, making sure that I included the clot of blood. I waited the 8 minutes, and it did not show an error... it did show 5.9% . Could the test have gone wrong because of the clot not dissolving? Also if it was accurate... I have been reading that anything over 5.4 % is pre diabetes... is that true? should I also do a urine test on him?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:11 pm

User avatar Are there any other health problems with your son other than obesity? Do you give him sugar? Gatorade is made mostly of glucose; probably not a good idea to give him on an empty stomach unless he was in danger of being dehydrated from excessive vomiting, diarrhea or persistent high fever. It can cause nausea/vomiting due to the high glucose content. Unless it was recommended by your doctor, fruit juice would be a better choice for breakfast.

With the difficulty you had, the test was more than likely false. It wouldn't have necessarily showed an error. The A1c doesn't show the actual blood glucose at the time, only the average percentage over the last 2-3 months, and is not used to diagnose diabetes. The way diabetes is diagnosed is a blood glucose level after fasting for at least 10 hours, not after anything to eat or drink.

Also, type II diabetes occurs in middle age; type I is the form children develop. Your doctor was probably trying to warn you about future health problems if he remains overweight, since overweight children are usually overweight adults.

You would probably do well to have your son checked for his stomach pain and diabetic status at his doctor's office, and follow a prescribed diet plan to get and keep your son at a healthy weight.

I hope this helps.

Shannon
 splume - Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:01 am

I am sorry that I have to disagree with you regarding children not getting type 2 diabetes.... I found the subject every where regarding the increase in children developing it... see below..

I have found large support groups on the internet for children and their parents who have type 2. Anyways... I did not realize that Gatorade was a glucose drink.. that would make sense why he got sick on an empty stomach. His other symptoms are contstant thirst... and I mean he demands drinks at all times of the day... constant complaining of stomache aches... always hungary... urinates frequently... occasional bed wetting.. difficulty getting up in the morning, and he is getting sores on his gums. He also has behaviorial issues at daycare. But you do think the test may have been inaccurate? was I correct that anything 5.4% to 6.5% is pre-diabetes? and what kinds of foods should he avoid when we start his new diet next week? Thanks
 Kirsty_Oz - Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:27 am

i also must disagree, or perhaps clarify.

type one is most common in children- it is partly as a result of the destruction of the islets found on the exterior of the pancreas which assist in insulin production
type one CAN NOT be avoided. type one is treated with diet, exercise and insulin injections 2-6 times a day. (normally higher number for younger children, or unstable diabetes) Type one is not due to being overweight or too much sugar in diet- these are common misconceptions. It is not known exactly what triggers this condition- however it is not as a result of 'un healthy lifestyles'

type two is either heredity or as a result of lifestyle- obesity etc. It is most common in middle aged people, however there has been an increase in the rate of children and adolescents being diagnosed with this condition.
Type 2 can be controlled with weight loss, exercise, diet, oral medication or if the condition remains unstable, it can lead to the use of insulin via injections.

i am not being rude- i just hoped to clarify a few things. :)
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:51 am

User avatar My mistake, thanks Kirsty for the clarification.

The rest stands, however. Generally 4-6% is considered the normal range for people without diabetes; diabetics can be within 1% of this range (higher) and be considered well controlled.

Every lab has slightly different "normal" ranges, however, depending upon the method used to calculate.

At home kits can be more prone to inaccurate readings because of "operator error". Diabetes cannot be diagnosed on A1c readings, again generally two fasting glucose levels are required for formal diagnosis.

The increased thirst and urination can be symptoms of diabetes, but all the symptoms you list are common in young children and really don't mean much without the fasting glucose levels to confirm.

As far as diet goes, obviously completely eliminate any type of refined sugar (sweets, soda) and "bad" carbs like any type of white bread, pasta, white rice, potatoes, and cereals with sugar. Learn to read labels carefully. Sugar, including corn syrup, is an ingredient in almost everything you can buy; look for sugar free versions, but still be aware of corn syrup. You can find many, many sugar free and whole wheat versions at Whole Foods, or any health food store.

The "good" carbs are whole wheat (not just wheat) bread, brown rice, whole grain cereals. Homemade oats, even quick oats, not the box flavored variety is the best choice of all, the most nutritious and the most fiber with protein and has no sugar. You can use Splenda to sweeten anything.

Limit fruit juices as they are mostly fructose which is a sugar, so small quantities are plenty. Include plenty of leafy greens and vegetables.

Lean meats broiled, baked or grilled are recommended, not fried.

Dairy is important, of course, but buy the fat free versions.

Basically a diabetic diet is recommended for everyone, not just diabetics. Be sure to limit portions, too much of this diet is also not good. Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or look on the web for correct portions for adults and children. You will lose weight on this "diet"; it is not a fad diet and is for life.

I hope this helps. :D

Shannon

|