News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: HbA1C Test Results

tnwldflwer - Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:09 pm

I had a blood fasting test done at the first part of June that came back with my blood sugar levels being a 126. My doctor ordered a HbA1C test done which I had done about 2 weeks ago. I just got a call from my doctors office telling me that my doctor has looked over the results and I am being diagnosed with Diabetes Type II. What I can not seem to find out is if my results really say that or not. The nurse said my A1C test results were a 6.3. Would this be considered Diabetes or maybe Pre-Diabetes? I don't want either but I would like to know if I am really considered diabetes or if I am really in the Pre-Diabetes stage. Can someone tell me what the limit for normal range is for the A1C test?
 tnwldflwer - Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 am

Jennifer R.N. wrote: Link

Thank you. Now this makes me wonder what the heck to think of my doctors call yesterday, but it gives me something to work with. Thanks again.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:02 am

User avatar Hello,

I will write this out just incase the link doesn’t work for everyone.

A1c may also be known as Hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, Glycohemoglobin, Glycated hemoglobin, Glycosylated hemoglobin tests.

The following numbers can change depending upon the doctor or the chart you might follow but this is the general rule:

FASTING PLASMA GLUCOSE (FPG)
Normal – less than 100 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter)
Pre-Diabetes – 100 mg/dL – 125 mg/dL
Diabetes – greater than 126 mg/dL usually on two or more tests

ORAL GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST (OGTT)
Normal – less than 140 mg/dL
Pre-Diabetes – 140 mg/dL to 199 mg/dL
Diabetes – greater than 200 mg/dL

HbA1c – normal is 5% or less
Values above 7% means your diabetes is poorly controlled

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here