News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Enlarged Thyroid

FutureMD - Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:23 pm

I recently saw an Endocrinologist and was told that my thyroid is twice as large as normal; when I received the results of my blood test I was told that my results were normal. I would like to know if there is any treatment available to decrease the size of my thyroid. I would also like to know if the increased size of my thyroid could lead to any long term damage. Lastly, I would like to know if it is possible that hypothyroidism could go undetected by blood tests considering that I gained 20 pounds in one month. Also, could an abnormally functioning adrenal gland cause the same symptoms of weight gain? Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Have a great day!
 spudsmacm - Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Yes, to all your questions. I t is known that thyroid function tests can be normal and an individual still have thyroid disease. I have found many internet sites regarding this issue, because I was having this problem. As I have written on other postings, I have just found out I have a suspicious thyroid nodule, even though I was told my thyroid function tests were normal. If you think something is wrong, then by all means do something. Don't wait until the numbers are " not normal"

You need to see another endocrinologist if you are having symptoms, like I had to do. My endocrinologist told me the same thing, but did not listen to my symptoms, my body was not normal , even though those numbers were "normal"

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here