Question: Hyperthyroidism? Menapause? IBS? Abdominal Cancer?

pronurse82 - Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:41 pm

I am a 42 year old white female, I have had four children, 2 full term no complications, and natural births. 1 birth was overdue, and had complications witth the afterbirth coming out. 1 birth was premie with jaundice, and found out she was born with hypoglycemia.I started perimenapause at age 37, treated with remifemin a natural hormone vitamin, suffered with hot/cold flashes, which in a matter of 1 year and six months, ceased from five to six hot/cold flashes to 1 or two.I was diagnosed with irratable bowel syndrome, but I do not have constipation.
I have currently been suffering with lumps in the sides of my neck which come and go, have a hiatal hernia, which my stomach swells and is very bloated all the time,especially when I eat anything at all. :cry:
For the past two weeks, the right side of my neck has been swollen and very tender, hot to the touch, with no sore throat, the pain goes up to the back of my head and is constant, and has not went away. I am constantly tired, no energy, my entire body aches, like I have the flu, but I don't. I thought I had CFS chronic fatigue syndrome, but don't know what test should be performed, someone mentioned a CA-125 blood test, to check for abdominal cancer, because my stomach just kills me all day long, I can drink a glass of water and I get nauseated. :oops:
I get nauseated upon standing, after sitting for 5 or more minutes, and my legs get this tingling feeling and then itchy sensation upon standing. When sleeping, which I don't get much of, always in constant discomfort, I awake and it seems as though I just caught my breath, and it feels as though I can feel my heart beating throughout my body, down my sides, through my arms and legs. I have had a tuballitigation, and that's the only surgery I have had. i have been hospitalized two times this year, for the aches and body pains, and the pain in my abdomen. That's when I was diagnosed with IBS.
I feel as though I am falling apart. I still hjave the menapause symtoms, but not as severe the main pain is the sore and achy msucles, when I stand my feet and legs feel so sore, and my stomach and neck is driving me crazy with the constant pain and discomfort.
I awaken through the night with frewquent urination, and through out the day, have no fequent urination. :(
My mother suffered from, diabetes, hiatal hernia, low blood pressure, and CHF. My father suffered from, high blood pressure, coal miners black lung disease, COPD, I have a brother who suffers from epilepsy, a sister who has hypoglycemia, and a brother who suffered from mononucleosis back in the '70s.
I know this is a lot, but if you could just point me in the right direction.
The menapause was bad enough, but the stomach aches and pains, soreness throught my boy, and now my neck is too much too handle, please help. :cry:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:05 am

User avatar Yes it is alot actually! :lol:

So lets take this one in small steps ok?
When were you last investigated and examined this year? If this was done recently then please list the investigations done and any significant results. Did your doctor see the swellings in your neck and what did he make of them?
 pronurse82 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:44 pm

Yes, had test done, DR. remarked lumps in neck due to menapause, said I had hiatal hernia, menapause, and that was it. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:53 pm

User avatar Pronurse,
Much of the symptoms you are describing could easily be due to the menopause. Frequency of micturition especially causing you to wake from sleep warrants a blood sugar test to exclude diabetes (especially since you have a family history). I do not think you should do a CA-125 test as it is too specific and your symptoms can be caused by too many things. I just wanted to make sure that there really are lymph nodes in the neck. The fact that they are hot and tender is usually good news, indicating that they may be caused by a nearby infection as opposed to the dreaded possibility of malignant disease. Every possibilty should be performed to find a source of infection. If none is found an emperic antibiotic is given for two weeks. If still persistent then they are investigated to rule out malignancy.

You see the point in your case is that you have many unrelated symptoms which can be very confusing. The only way to deal with this is put your hand on the most significant symptom and proceed investigating that. You then proceed to the following symptom in order of clinical significance.

In my opinion that would be the lymph nodes then possibly the abdominal pains. The fact that you have a history of IBD tends to reduce the clinical significance of abdominal pains. Ofcourse as I mentioned earlier if you are complaining of frequent urination then a blood sugar test should be done right away.

Please note that in a clinical situation as complex as this one, my opinion would be less valuable really compared to your current physician, given the obvious constraints of the internet.
 pronurse82 - Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:57 pm

:lol: I thank you so much for your time and understanding, I will speak with my physician about the CA-125 test, I tell him my concerns, but he tell's me it's nothing to worry about. If he felt as bad, and tired as I do, I think he'd be worried too.
I am searching for another physician, he's good, but a little too busy for me, he's always in a rush, god bless him, I know he does his best. I thank-you again.
Sincerely pronurse :D
 carlakaden - Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:12 pm

i have been suffering from ibs now for a few years. :cry: i am considering having a virtual colonoscopy , do you think this is wise. i just want peace of mind that i havent got bowel cancer

|