Question: Help- Dr. Cant figure out whats wrong with me

CTB - Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:16 pm

Im 36 yr old Vegetarian Female. Im 5'7" and normally weigh around 130 to 140 MAX ( 163 when I gave birth to my daughter 10yrs ago). I currently weigh 195lbs. I was diagnoised with a Pituitary adnoma when I was 19. Nine months ago my fiance died unexpectidly and I was put on high dosages of anti depressant Lexipro, which had a negative effect on me. The first couple of months I actually lost a little bit of weight, but then I gained about 40lbs in about 5/6 months. I stopped taking Lexipro about 3 months ago thinking that was the cause of my weight gain, but I continued to gain weight ..about 6/8lbs this last month. With no change to my eatting habits, or any other habits. My weight gain continus to increase with no real cause it seems. My Dr. tested my thyroid and he said it was normal. (I had it tested about 3yrs ago as well and it was a little on the low side). I am now to take a 24hr cortisole test. Im praying this might show something, if not..I don't know what Im going to do. Im so beyhond frustrated. I have absolutely no energy and it continuing to get worse every day. It seems my armpit lymph nodes are swollen also....or Im just getting really fat there...I don't know!?!? My stomach is where the majority of the weight gain is, but my breast have also increased pretty substantially in size as well. When I wake up my calfs muscles are really sore. My hair is thinning. I seem to sweat more than normal lately. My vision got a little weird today and I also noticed today the right side of my neck is sore and a bit swollen.Ive had a cronic mild cough now also for at least a year if not more. Im also VERY irritable and cranky.
I have no insurance and lost my job due to the weight gain so Im going to a low cost clinic and feeling just very frustrated and that they are not taking me serously. They tell me to just eat better and excersice and talk to me like Im 5. I know all this...but I don't have the energy TO excersice. After work I literally have no energy to do anything but go home and lay down Im so exhausted. I don't think this is related to depression either. Ive had boughts with major depression before, but this is different. I have the desire to go out and do things. I WANT to..I just don't have the energy and strength to do so. Whereas with depression previously I just didnt have the desire to do anything. Im freaking out wondering when this weight gain is going to stop....as Im rapidly approaching 200lbs!
 spudsmacm - Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:57 pm

You need an ultrasound of your thyroid, some of these symptoms could point to a thyroid nodule, like me. My numbers were fine too, on antidepressants, but extremely fatigued and not doing anything seriously no energy. I recently got my answer even though my doctors thought I was just "crazy". I also don't believe it is depression either. I went through everything your are, but don't give up. You know how you feel. Insist on also thyroid antibodies since these are not doen with the normal thyroid fuction tests.
Also make sure they look at your parathyroids, these usually don't cause cancer but play a major role on your body, causing alot of unwanted symptoms. Most doctors don't concentrate on the parathyroids as a problem. Hope everything goes well.

What worries me is the cough, you don't say if you smoke, I do so I know it can be a sign of possible thyroid cancer, like mine, but I smoke( I know being a nurse I should know better) Let me know how you make outl

|