Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Reactive hypoglycemia?

dizzy13 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi there. I am a 32 year old female,good health. Having symptoms of hypoglycemia. Started in August of 2004. My family doctor ordered an A1C and fasting blood sugar. I know that the test results were "negative for diabetes",but the morning I went in for the fasting test, I had a reading of only 74 (and felt pretty good which makes me wonder how low it was when I feel really bad). He recommended that I watch my diet (which I have done),and I did feel better for a couple of months. However the symptoms have returned. I am having dizziness,sweating,nausea,shakiness,feeling hot,and occassionally crying spells and irritability which seem to be relieved when I eat something. Should I go back for the same round of tests? What else could it be? What should I ask him to test for if there are any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
 drjvvr - Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:09 am

Dear Friend,

Let me answer your questions, though it's quite a long time that you posted this message. First of all, an A1C value of less than 6% means that you are not a diabetic. Further, a fasting value of 74 mg/dl is not absolutely low. It can be considered relatively low for a person who is a diabetic and has taken an overdose of oral hypoglycemic agents or insulin the previous night.

Your symptoms are suggestive but not specific for Diabetes and hypoglycemia. Do you have a family history of Diabetes from either parent's side? Are you in ideal weight for your height? These are all more important when you think of Diabetes.

So, I suggest that you go for an Oral glucose Tolerance Test, which is the gold standard test for diagnosing Diabetes. Along with that, you can do a fasting lipid profile, repeat your A1C (preferably in another laboratory), kidney function tests, liver function tests, serum electrolytes and a complete urine examination. Further tests can be decided by your physician when you meet him or her, based on your symptoms, physical examination and the investigation reports.

Let me know the results too! Good luck! Get well soon!

Yours Sincerely,
Dr J Vijay Venkatraman.
vijay@ktvr.com

|