News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Normal, or is a Dr. visit required?

autumn_whisperstome - Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:00 pm

A friend of my fiance's and myself insisted on doing our blood sugar this morning with her monitor. We're both, my fiance and I, high risk, diabetes running in our immediate family (two siblings of mine have it and my mother died due to complications arising from the disease), both overweight (me significantly as of the past two years).

On waking (fasting) my fiance's BS was 157, and mine was 154. We had a muffin for breakfast, then about 45min to an hour later we tested again and his was 154 and mine 106.

Fiance has no symptoms, but I have a lot of them, including blurry vision. My vision has been perfect all of my life (I'm 44 in September), but over the last couple of years it's been getting steadily worse, and now I can't read price tag stickers or the back of a shampoo bottle. I've given up my life-long love of reading due to this. Even the buttons on the car stereo are impossible for me to read (same with my cell phone).

The majority of eyesight changes in me have occured in the last couple of months.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Autumn
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

User avatar Hi autumn_whisperstome,
I would strongly suggest an evaluation by your physician. Diabetes is a systemic problem meaning it affects every organ in your body. Uncontrolled diabetes is very dangerous and causes a multitude of problems. Have an evaluation completed.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 autumn_whisperstome - Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:44 am

Thank you very, very much for your reply. :) I understand that two fasting BG levels are taken in order to reach a diagnosis? This would mean our BG levels have to be high both days in order to warrant a diagnosis. Correct?

Thank you again for your reply. :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here