Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Hypoglycemia? GTT test strange...

CMR18 - Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:21 am

Last week, I had a fainting spell. Went to the doctor and he did (or started) a 5 hour GTT. 3 hours through it, I got really dizzy, strted crying, palpitations, etc... He stopp4ed the test. I got my results back, and he diagnosed me hypoglycemic. I just wanted another opinion.

My 8 hour fast sample had my glucose at 86. I drank the glucose drink and the sample an hour later was 74. The rest of the samples stayed in that area.

He told me that I should have a glucose meter, to check myself a few times daily. So, here's the strange results.
Yesterday morning: 12 hour fast 86
2:45 (1 hour past lunch) 74
9:30 (1 hour past dinner)102

This morning, 12 hour fast- 107

My glucose seems to be all over the low charts. Is there something else I should be doing/checking for? Thank you!
:D
 drjvvr - Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:54 am

Dear Friend,

From the values that you have quoted, it seems that you are not diabetic. Hypoglycemia in normal individuals is something to be investigated. However, you haven't mentioned the readings of the GTT you did. Also, the post-prandial sugar being lower than fasting can be due to reactive hypoglycemia. Are you in ideal body weight for your height? If you are obese, insulin resistance might be the reason for reactive hypoglycemia. Even then, at least one value in your GTT should be more than 160. Let me know these details.

Anyway, you must consult a good general physician with HbA1c, fasting and post-prandial blood tests after 10 hours overnight fasting. The sample must be given early in the morning. If all these are normal, you are not diabetic. Then you can ask your physician to evaluate your other parameters. Let me know what happened.

Good luck! Get well soon!

Yours Sincerely,
Dr J Vijay Venkatraman.
vijay@ktvr.com

|