News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: possible fluctuating thyroid disorder???

teikelberry - Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am

For several months, I have been experiencing strange symptoms. Initially, I would have a rapid heart beat, spike in bp (i.e. 150/94), flushing, hives, and light headed. They first treated me for an allergic reaction. I responded poorly to the steroids and my bp went soaring. I was hospitalized. They did numerous tests including pheochromocytoma, carcinoid, and MRI of abdomen. All was normal. All blood work was also normal.

I was released and started seeing different doctors. My symptoms persisted but were random. My epidsodes of rapid heart seem to happen only at night (115-120); same with bp spikes. I get light headed to the point of almost passing out at random, but when I am sitting or lying, not standing. Orthostatic problems have been ruled out. I also experience fatigue, weak/rubbery legs, achy legs, blurred vision, headaches, jitters, mood swings, constipation, and stiff neck at times. These symptoms occur in groups or alone. I can be fine for a few days or weeks and then I'll have a bad spell, lasting a few days or weeks. I have lost a ton of hair, developed acne, and my emotions are all over the place. It seems worse around my period.

One theory was that I had an autonomic imbalance. I've tried beta blockers, Florinef, calcium channel blockers and anti depressants, all fo which have made me feel much worse. I don't really believe this theory anymore because of the fluctuation of symptoms from barely there to flaring. Some days I can't get out of bed while others, I'll feel almost normal.

I began looking back over my tests and noticed that my TSH level was fluctuating. In January, it was 1.83. In March it was .86. In May, it was 2.82. I had it checked last week and it was 3.2. They tell me it is odd to see these fluctuations but that it is within the normal range. They also said my antibodies were in normal ranges as well. I've read alot about thyroid disorders and believe this may actually be the culprit. Something is definately fluctuating in my body, causing problems. I am different, week to week. I also have a low basal body temp, averaging 97.0.

Can a thyroid bounce back and forth between hypo and hyper (I seem to have both sets of symptoms). How is this disorder detected? Should I have my levels checked on a weekly basis? Is there anything more I can do? The docs just don't seem to be interested.

I am 29 year femail, 5'6", 150 lbs (recently gained 15 lbs in four weeks). I just want my normal life back. At this point, I can barely work part time. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated. I am located in Northeast Ohio.
 spudsmacm - Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:32 pm

You need to see an endocrinologist and insist on ultrasounds of your thyroid and parathyroids, numbers mean nothing if you're having all these symptoms. Don't take no for an answer. If you have to get a second opinion, go for it. These symptoms appear to me to be thyroid problems.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here