News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Possible Diabetes?

AudreyMay - Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:22 pm

For the past four months I have been fighting extreme fatigue, fever, abdominal pain and nausea and UTI symptoms. All my tests for UTI have proven negative. Then one night when I was feeling really bad I went into the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital for dehydration. Chloride 122, Bicarbonate 35.9, Sodium 158, Anion Gap 0.1, Glucose 215, BUN 23 and Magnesium 3.5. After hydrating me the levels began to return to normal. Since leaving the hospital the UTI symptoms have returned no matter how much water I am drinking. The other thing is that my body tempeture can drop down to 95.0 or in some instances go up to 100. I am an overweight menopausal woman who can't seem to find a way to take the weight off. Does your Glucose going up mean that you are starting on the road to diabetes?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:43 am

Not necessarily.
High blood glucose levels can be a temporary finding with stress, and is known as 'stress hyperglycemia'. Blood sugar levels never exceed 300mg/dl.
However, more confirmatory tests are needed to exclude diabetes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here