Question: chronic tonsil pain-- brought on by simply talking!

arteest - Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:19 pm

I am a female adult in my mid-twenties, who has been experiencing chronic sore throats for the past 5-6 years. They began when I started a career as a director. I notice extreme pain in my right tonsil after I have been directing for just an hour or so. It gets worse the more I talk. I have to raise my voice to be heard, but I do not scream or yell-- the pain seems to come on very easily. I have also noticed the same problem occurs when I whisper or sing for just a few minutes. I have found that iced or hot tea is about the only thing that helps. Usually the pain is accompanied by a low fever and pain in my neck on the right side and it can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. I feel certain that the area near my right tonsil is the source of the pain. When I press on it.. it stops for the moment. I am just not sure exactly what this is or what to do to make it stop for good! Any information would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:41 am

User avatar Hi arteest,
Generally speaking when tonsils become inflammed and begin causing repeated problems the recommendation is typically removal. An ENT specialist would be able to identify what structure in the throat is the causative factor.

|