News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Thyroid disorder...or cancer?

nadjjaa - Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:38 pm

[size=18]I have a very fat neck and have for several years. It seems to be a goitre but the blood test was okay. I have several symptoms indicative of a thyroid disorder.

Almost four weeks ago I started to feel very tired. I went to the doctor a couple of days later with the following symptoms: Extremely swollen, painful lymph nodes on the left side of my neck (all the way from the tip of my ear down to my clavicle). Fever (occasional), malaise, aches and pains, and extreme fatigue. GP did a CBC and mono test, both were normal/negative, and gave me 1 week of Augmentin, and then 1 week of Levaquin. I felt horrible for about 9 days and have felt okay for 10 days. All symptoms are gone except the swollen lymph nodes, and maybe slight fatigue. I went to the ENT who did a FNA. I also had a CT of the neck. Biopsy didn't show anything malignant, just reactive, inflammed cells, CT showed only swelling (from what my doctor said).

I even went to the dentist today, and he did a bunch of X-Rays and thought he saw something, but thinks it was just a shadow after viewing the second X-Ray. Still, he referred me to an Oral Surgeon.

After that I called my GP in tears because no one can tell me anything definitive. All of my practicioners have said something about my thyroid, though, indicating a very obvious "roundness" in the middle/lower part of my neck, like my neck sort of has a "spare tire" around it.

They all think infection. I don't know. My lymph nodes have never been THIS swollen for THIS long. And now some lymph nodes on the right side have started to pop up, though not as much as the left. Could I have something wrong with my thyroid even though the blood test was normal? Should I be concerned about cancer? All the docs say they cant find any evidence of cancer, but refuse to rule it out, even after a biopsy.

They keep telling me not to worry, but of course I'm worried and it's easy to say "don't worry" when it's not your problem. I am depressed and anxious about all this and I feel as though it has taken over my life. I'm sleeping more than usual, and I can't figure out if it's because I have fatigue or because I'm depressed.
 Big_T - Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:35 pm

I would say just get back to the doctor, tell him/her that it is still bothering you and get another test done that will either prove or disprove what is or is not there. If that test is inconclusive get another one done. You need piece of mind. I have hypothyroidism and the first and second doctor I visited ignored it and the second doctor even ignore a positive 13 TSH blood test. You need to keep going till you get an answer. Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here