News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: 2nd goitre, facial hair growth, vertigo, tinnitus and more

mirador - Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:10 am

I am 33, female, overweight, smoke, do not drink.
In 1994 discovered a goitre, GP did a TFT and said it was normal. I gained approx 56lbs in 3 months, was cold intolerant, always tired, depressed etc. in 1994 had a sub-total thyroidectomy as goitre was restricting my breathing and eating significantly. All TFT's were normal (I was never informed of the actual level) and I began to feel better than I had in years and lost half the weight I'd gained. In 1997 discovered I had a 2nd goitre. Again, TFT normal. 2.5. Started putting on weight even though exercise was the same and food intake did not increase.

In 2002 things became worse. This time I'm heat intolerant. Hands shake. One morning I awoke, opened my eyes and the room was diagonally spinning and I couldn't tell where I was because of it. It lasted only a few minutes. I arose and 2 mins later it happened again. This time I was sitting erect.

Since then, I have developed facial hair in the form of growing a fine beard either side of the chin. My menses cycle ranges from 18 to 47 days, lasting between 1 to 7 days. I have what I call vertigo (spinning, falling, about to spin sensation) I also get zig zags in my eyes, centre of vision gets blurred, these I suffer with on a daily basis. 3 times lost sight completely for 1-5 mins, 2 x black outs, memory problems, I have palpitations which occur upon waking. Not panic attacks. I don't get headaches.

I have had a head MRI, which the opthamologist says is normal (I saw him because a doctor saw papilloedema). An ECG-normal. last TFT was 1.1. Unrelated but history anyway, in Jan had lapcholy and in June had acute pancreatitis, unknown cause.

I need help because my GP suggests it is all because I am overweight. Somethings yes, but not all of it.
 mirador - Mon May 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi all.
As an update, after 3.5 years of struggling I now have a diagnosis. It is not endo related but was always queried because of the goitres.
My diagnosis is B12 deficiency (pernicious anaemia).

Cross fingers the treatment helps me get well again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here