Question: levothyroxin natrium - NOVOTHYRAL

infinitesmile - Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:33 pm

I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism back in 1990 when I still lived in Europe. My drug that I need to be on is not available in the US, thus when I moved to California in 2001 I was put on the'wrong' drug (Synthoid) by my then OB (I was pregnant) After falling into deep depression after childbirth and going back to europe in 2004 I went to see my ENT doc who told me to immediately switch back to Novothyral. In those 3 years I had put on over 50 lbs and spiraled deep into depression. I am doing a bit better now - but have to have my mom mail the medication to me every 3 month since I can't seem to find it here.

Do you have any suggestions???? this is levothyroxin-natrium and liothyronin-natrium.

Thanks for your help

infinitesmile@yahoo.com
 medicalman - Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:23 am

I would not say that you were put on a "wrong" drug. Novothyral is T3/T4 combination and Synthroid is just T4. T3 and T4 are thyroid hormones which people who have hypothyroidism (like you) cannot produce. Maybe you were put on a lower dose than necessary! Maybe you have T3 specific deficiency! You would need to go to a physician and have a thyroid profile checked which can identify if you have isolated deficiency of T3 (which is why novothyral works for you). Or you can just continue to get the drug in mail and use it. don't you have a primary care doctor here?
Im sure they could help you.

|