Question: Very low serum cortisol levels after admin of mexadethasone

lovebird76 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:10 pm

I just received my lab results back and am shocked by the findings. My cortisol level was only .4 after administration of mexadethasone, and the normal level is supposed to be 6.7-22.1. I have already been diagnosed with PCOS and Antiphospholipid Syndrome (Hughes Syndrome), along with chronic obesity. It has taken me YEARS to get a doctor to listen to me when I say I eat healthily and exercise 5 days a week but still put weight on, and the general attitude is that I'm just lazy and eating poorly. My nutritionist actually asked to have me tested for high cortisol, but we found it to be just the opposite. She suspected I had Cushing's Syndrome, but from what I've read so far it seems that I would have Addison's Disease. Does this sound correct? Can you please tell me what such a low level of cortisol would mean and how it will affect me? I cannot get in to see my doctor until next month due to travel plans, and it would be nice to finally know what on earth is wrong with me!!!!!

Many thanks for any and all suggestions, comments, and assistance!
LS
 lovebird76 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:46 pm

The drug I was given was not mexadethasone, it was Dexamethasone! This was given at midnight and the cortisol levels were taken at 8 am the next day.
Sorry for the confusion,
LS

|