News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: "Buffalo hump"

joann9298 - Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:59 pm

i am a 27 year old female. for the past 7 years i have had numerous proplems. i have a question the drs have found a 3x5mm nodle on my right lobe. I have stopped menstrating for 2 years now. I get countinues headaches . My left breast is lactating. I have extra weight in my abdomen area. my face is really full. My bones hurt mainly my ankles, knees and wrists. I have a rash all over and bruise very easily. The back of my neck has a big hump. Cushings was mentioned to me about a year ago but no test have been done.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:23 pm

User avatar HI
some of the symptoms you have mentioned are very common in patients with cushing syndrome.

Cushing's syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body's tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol

Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.
Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.

Women usually have excess hair growth on their faces, necks, chests, abdomens, and thighs. Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop.

some of the common diagnostic tests for this syndrome include: 1), 24-Hour Urinary Free Cortisol Level,
2) Dexamethasone Suppression Test

3)CRH Stimulation Test
4)Direct Visualization of the Endocrine Glands (Radiologic Imaging), and 5) The Dexamethasone-CRH Test

i suggest that you talk to your doctor about it, and to have any of these tests performed.
the first test i have mentioned under 1) is the most specific.

remember that Treatment depends on the specific reason for cortisol excess and may include surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or the use of cortisol-inhibiting drugs.

than k you very much, and i hope you feel better.

[/b]

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here