Question: Can excercise help regain Testosterone levels

wik - Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:45 pm

Dear Docs,

This is a 26 yr old male still bachelor. I am going through a very difficult time.

My History
I have doing the wrong stuff (masturbation) for several years. Recently I noticed that I have developed the symptoms of testosterone deficiency They are palpitation, excessive sweating, being lethargic, depression and to some extent sleep less ness. In addition am having hair loss problem …. A doctor said it was male pattern baldness. I have been using some medicine that reduces the generation of DHT and thus hair loss problem can be controlled to some extent.

I was never a smart guy but now am putting lots and lots of fats I weigh 94 Kg = 200lbs and my height is 5-10 = 176 cm … I know that I m over weight

Question
My question is this that if I start some heavy exercises like body building etc…. will it help me to regain the testosterone levels. Because I have read many a times that the testosterone replacement techniques (injections, tablets, patches and lotions) results in a temporary boost in testosterone level. Please note that although I ll like to have pleasure in life but I m even willing to sacrifice my sex life if there is a way of getting out of this lethargic ness which I m facing.

There is no doctor in my city who can help me out with this, therfore i m asking u learned ppl for advice...... Thanks in advance for your replies

Best Regards,
Confused 26
 davinci2 - Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:35 am

Exercise will help you increase your testosterone levels. How much, I don't know. Here's what you do. Figure out a good working routine, and a good routine will often mean you will spend as little time on those machines as possible. The most important of the exercises is the squat and the deadlift. These take practice, but when done correctly you will be amazed. Squats allow for you body to use so many muscles at once that it allows for a better increase in growth hormons.

Remember though, a good routine is nothing compared to a good diet. Make sure you figure out maintanance calories (The calories it takes for you to maitain your current weight.) If you figure those out, drop them by about 20 percent and keep lifting. If your maintanance calories was at 3000, then drop them by 600. You will be eating 2400 a day. Control what you eat. This means tracking everything. Use http://www.fitday.com for this. Always weigh your food, don't use size as a means of measuring. Once you've done that, you clean up your diet. This means eating 1~1.5 grams of protein per pound you weigh. Eat 0.5 grams of fat (Healthy fats, but also healthy saturated fats, they help support your endocrine system and actually promote testosterone) The rest of your diet can be made up of carbs. Try to eat most of your carbs before and after you workout.

Since you are a beginner, I'll give the best routine there is to start anyone off.

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps
Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

If you're not sure how to do one of the exercises there are plenty of sites that can show you. Do not read fitness magazines. Join a proper lifting board and meet the people who know what they're doing because they've done it.

The above routine is from http://www.wannabebig.com
 lilysuzanne - Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:53 am

First of all masterbating is not wrong it's normal and doesn't affect testosterone level. Weight gain in men lowers your testosterone level, raises it in women. I also read aheavy exercise program at gym can lower your testosterone. Your hair medicine is lowering your testosterone level. Hair loss is reactive to testosterone. Oatmeal is the only food I kow that raises testosterone. Good Luck. Go have your hormones tested.

|