Question: night sweats

ibanezjem - Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:30 am

Hi
Twice in the last 2 weeks I have woke up in the middle of the night with my blankets wet from sweat, and I am sweating, when I get out of bed I'm cold. Last night I woke up sweating I had to get another blanket cause mine was wet, then when I fell back asleep I woke up again a little later with the same problem and had to get another dry blanket.
I'm a 30 year old mail(smoker) but I don't rember having this problem before. Please help I have no insurance. So maybe I'm worried for nothing I don't know. Waking up in the middle of the night soaked from sweat freaks me out. I also just quit smoking pot about 3 weeks ago. Yes I feel much better physicly since I quit, would it have something to do with that? Any advice would be nice. Thank You
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:19 am

User avatar Dear ibanezjem,

The first thing that comes to my mind is that most probably you don't need to be covered with a blanket during the night. How about just trying a sheet or something lighter?

Night sweats are usually related to chronic diseases such as tuberculosis or cancer. It may also be related to diabetic low blood sugar reactions.

If you are healthy, not losing weight with good appetite and no other concerning symptoms related to the above mentionned diseases such as chronic cough that is non-resolving, coughing up blood, having a new tumour, i would suggest that you try to cover up at night with a sheet especially if you have a heater on.

ibanezjem - Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:55 am

I do have a appitite, my weight seems normal, I am 30 years old and weigh about 155 160 so I have always never been heavy. I just want to say its been 2 days I have slept fine and have not woking up at all sweating. However I went to the dentist yesterday and was told I have perionticle gum disease (don't think I spelled that right). Could this be why I woke up 4 days in a row sweating at night? I feel healthy and I do cough from smoking but not alot and its not cronich. Thank you for replying it is a big help.
ibanez
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:09 am

User avatar Dear ibanezjem,

An acute infection can cause that but this usually associated with high fever. i am not sure about the gum disease that you have.

emmy - Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:23 am

hi
I have been getting night sweats for over 12 months now and haven't been able to be diagnosed by my doctors. I wake up during the night multiple times in a cold sweat and i'm absolutely drenched. This causes me to have little sleep and during the day i'm tired because of lack of sleep. I also wake 2-3 times a night to go to the toilet. I am 22 years old and don't smoke or drink. What do you think it could be?
 sneakerlady - Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:40 am

Go to your physician.
With the peeing and the night sweats, I'd want you to be evaluated for diabetes. Other possibilities include gastric reflux, sleep apnea (trouble breathing when you sleep), hyperthyroidism, TB, lymphoma, HIV infection, among others...
 young&concerned - Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm 20 yrs old&have only had 3 sexual parnters.I would like to think I'm healthy but now after looking back over the past 2yrs of my life I think something may be wrong.As of this past wk. I've been waking up drenched in a cold sweat but my house is either normal temp.Or cold.I wake up feeling weak but as soon as I get up&get moving&dry I feel totally fine.now as far as any past health problems that maybe related to these new night sweats are: recently, I just had my first yeast infection I guess I had it for a while&didnt know because it wasn't burning or itchy. I thought it was gone but I still have a thick slightly colored discharge coming from me today.I'm thinking it maybe a bacterial infection now because I let the yeast stay as long as I did.(I'm going to doc. For that to know for sure) Also, I've had an eating problem for the past 2yrs now that I feel originally steamed from depression I was gong through at the time.I used to feel nauses to eat but its gotten better.&don't get me wrong its not a wieght issue I want to gain wieght. I don't vomit yellow acids in the mornings anymore however, to this day I still have little to no appitite.&it sucks because I used to love food!its so hard for me to gain weight even when I am eating the full 3meals a day.I can't seem to get past 100.I got to 110 once but that was short lived.However,but to lose wieght is very easy!&the last thing that maybe related to these recent night sweats is I have random occasions for the past2yrs that I have trouble breathing in my sleep&its scary but they have always been random nights never consistant.I read one thing that maybe causing these night sweats maybe something called hodgkins desiese? My lympnodes on my neck I can feel&they move around but I'm not sure if I'd call the little balls themselves tender?I'm scared because I have all the symptoms that were listed now exept fevers& I'm not sure if my lympnodes are swollen.is it normal to be able to easily feel them? But maybe its just stress because I do have a lot of it in my life now.please help me with any advice I have no insurance but I'm really concerned.I'm a dancer&model my good health means everything to me!

|