Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: diabetes and erectile dysfunction

concerned_wife - Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:41 pm

My 53 year old husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 7 years ago. Since then he has kept his blood sugar under control (mostly), faithfully taken his medications, and lost nearly 50 pounds.

Unfortunately in the last 2 years there have been increasing episodes of erectile dysfunction. Erections that sometimes fade to nothing during sex and aren't as full as they used to be. Difficulty in achieving errection even when desire and stimulation are there.

I understand the ED can be associated with diabetes. We were told that if the proscribed treatment were followed the diabetes would be controlled. I don't fully understand the connection between diabetes and ED, and the situation certainly seems to be deteriorating. I fear that it may get worse still. This is a frightening vision of our future intimacy.

Here are my questions:
1) If the diabetes is under control, why does the erectile dysfunction seem to be worsening?

2) Outside of taking even more drugs (Viagra etc. which are expensive and inconvenient ) how may we improve the frequency and reliability of erections?

3) Is this permanent, and inevitably going to get progressively worse? Can we arrest or reverse the problem?

Unfortunately, we have limited access to quality healthcare. We currently live in the Russian Federation where health care is basic, and the few western clinics which operate here are exceedingly expensive and staffed by non-English speaking doctors. Good European doctors to be sure, but the language barrier is difficult to bridge. So just popping down to the local clinic really isn't an option.

Thank you so much for you anticipated reply.
 dsjeya - Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:21 pm

diabetics even under contol definitely affects nerves and blood vessels,erection is one of the casualty.since psychologial is more affected than physical,more direct stimulation of male organ will help,viagra works well,underlying depression needs to be treated too
oral sex is an alternative
 concerned_wife - Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:34 am

Although I appreciate the reply, I don't feel like it addressed all of my questions. Perhaps you could find time to answer my post in more detail? Thanks.

|