Question: Please help me! I'm begining to wonder if I'm going crazy!!

anoak - Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:35 am

I can not seem to get any answers so I've turned to the internet for help. This is new to me so please bare with me. I am having several odd symptoms that do not have any apperant relation to one another. If anyone can give me any ideas please do, I am open for all ideas. All I know for sure is that I'm reaching the point where I don't know how much longer I can deal with all of this.
Symptoms:
extreme weight gain (46lbs between age 24-26 to a weight of 167, then frequent swings in weight that averaged 10-15lbs until 3mts ago, when I put on 24lbs in 2mts. This was all done with no lifestyle changes (with the exception of 4mts of fertility treatment between the ages 25-27), and I have never--pre24y-o-a--had a weight problam and have always enjoyed outdoor activities (yard work, gardening, farming, hunting, camping, and fishing).
Facial/chest hair
vaginal dryness
fatigue
infertility (8-years-present)
hair loss (scalp)
irregular menstraul cycle (no problems pre-22)
mood swings
dry skin (this has been progressive)
bad short-term memory
strong arm pit odor (noticably increased aprox 24 y-o-a)
brittle finger/toe nails
heartburn/indigestion (noticable around 24-25)
little clearish cycst on hands that feel like splinters under the skin, they usually go away after a week or so, unless I make the mistake and believe that I can remove them, then they react like grimlins that have gotten wet.

I don't know how else to explain all of the things that are going wrong with me. I am 29 and walk 2 miles/day and use the stairs at the hospital instead of the elevator, my diet consist of fish, venison, chicken and vegetables, wiht the exception of carats and beets (this are the foods that I have always eaten, as a child and as an adult). I need help, please!
 spudsmacm - Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:17 pm

I wait to assure you, you are not crazy. I have many of the symptoms you have and now I find out that I have a suspicious nodule on the left side of my thyroid. Symptoms started while pregnant with my last child 5 years ago. I told my ob-gyn that I was feeing depressed and I was told it was my hormones which of course made sense. I just knew I wasn't "feeling right"
My work suffered and my family suffered even after my delivery. I had such mood swings, and angry all the time, let alone being tired, hair loss, not wanting to do anything. I was always someone who could take control of anything. I couldn't control this. I finally went to my family md who said I was depressed. I just couldn't accept that , I asked "but what is causing me depression?" There was no answer. I took the medicine on and off, but nothing changed. Symptoms getting worse. I couldn't stand being tired all the time. I decided that work was too much because everyone and everything got on my nerves. In March, I decided to do internet research and found adrenal insufficiency and got a home test that showed my testosterone was high. I than went back to the family md and told her the medicine isn't working I need something to give me energy. At this time, I was having more hair loss, hoarseness, throat pain, severe sinusitis, enlarged axillary lymph nodes,gai ning approx 15 pounds over the past year. never had problems with weight. I wanted an answer. Went to an ENT, Endocrinologist, and will be going to a Rheumatologist soon. After all tests, thyroid function tests all "normal", an MRI showed an 8mm nodule. I convinced my ENT to order a thyroid scan - normal. followed with Endocrinologist what told me I need to change my medication, and that my hair loss had nothing to do with my thyroid, because numbers were normal ( I know what kind of endocrinologist says that) I did not stop there. I made her order a thyroid ultrasound, which showed 2 hypervascular, hypoechogenic masses with positive Doppler color flow imaging throughout each nodule. I need a fine needle biopsy of this nodule, but my endocrinologist has not gotten back to me in 3 weeks.

I'm sorry for all this info but what I'm trying to say is go with your gut instinct,If you think something is wrong, it probably is. If you
don't think your doctor is listening go elsewhere.

I am an emergency room nurse with 18 years experience, and I always tell the doctors to listen to their patients, not the numbers.

So do not take no for an answer, it is your body and you know what is normal for you. Don't let anyone make you feel that you are crazy. Everyone wants to believe that if you're a woman, everything is your hormones.

|