News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: mind commenting on my labs?

delta - Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Howdy:

I'm a fifty-six year old male, a licensed professional, exercise frequently, am in excellent health according to my doc, and like to track my health attentively.

I recently took a Quest men's health profile for my own benefit but also to keep tracking my serum glucose level which my doc noticed last year was 107 (fasting). It took me by surprise but since my brother is a diabetic, insulin dependent just recently at 65, I imagine I am a good candidate for type II as well.

I take Avalide (which has a little HCTZ in it) as well as Crestor and Zetia. The latter chol drugs because although my total chol is 125 with my HDL at 54 and LDL at 52 we are working to make my NMR lipo profile read a little better. I also use androgel: a cream for testesterone replacement.

I am not a hypochondriac but I do want to take control of my health with my doc's assistance.

Anyway, this last health profile showed an eleven-hour fasting glucose at 100 with an A1C at 5.7%. If you read their library, the AiC indicates I have good control on my glucose.

Anyway, I sent the results to my doc and we will discuss them at my annual in two months but I found this forum and thought I may get an informed response:

I had a kidney health panel, thyroid panel, cbc, anemia, electrolyte, liver, thyroid, urinalysis, vitamin B12 and folate. The only values outside the reference range on the three page report were my BUN at 26 and the glucose at 100. (one over the normal range in each case)

Since BUN relates to kidney = diabetes, I wonder if the HCTZ in my blood pressure med is dehydrating me too much (especially out here in CO at altitude!). Also, can't the steroidal androgel raise my glucose?

Herre's my other kidney health panel values:

albumin 4.6
creatinine 1.2
uric acid 7.7

Any thoughts? I realize this is for discussion purposes only and I will rely on my doc but I would like to discuss the subject intelligently with him.

Thank you,

Capt. Delta
 Dr. N. Haider - Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:19 am

User avatar hi

what i get from your discussion is that you are worried about elevated glucose, BUN and creatinine. therefore, i'll answer those.

Yes, steroids really raise your blood glucose, and a fasting value of 100 is just, hmm, satisfactory.

Regarding BUN and creatinine, first of all we need a previous reading of your kidney profile. Although seemingly elevated when seeing the refernce values, this might be your normal values. So what is important is that have these values risen from before? then only it means a deteriorating function of kidneys. get my point? and secondly, BUN and especially creatinine is elevated after exercise. Are you sure you hadnt exerted a little extra physically when you took that test!

Uric acid is in upper limits for men. but, Blood uric acid levels can increase during hydrochlorothiazide treatment.

moreover, i'd really like to know your serum electrolytes.

i hope that answers your query. You can of course do a detailed discussion with your doc.

Najaf Haider
MBBS

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here