Question: Hypothyroid & Birth Control

lej1227 - Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:49 pm

I am 21 and have been on birth control for almost two years. I have done a lot of research on hypothyroidism and think I might have it. I was tested about a year and a half ago by my family doctor who told me everything was fine. Since then, my symptoms (weight gain even though i diet and exercise, coldness, memory loss, fatigue, hair loss, etc) have persisted. Many of my symptoms did not begin until I started to take birth control. Could the birth control be affecting my throid levels? Do I need to see a specialist in order to find out if I really have thyroid problems? If so, what kind of specialist? Can thyroid problems be detected in the blood while I am on birth control?
 angel2close - Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 am

You do not say which type of birth control you are using but I am going to assume that it is the pill. You say that many of your symptoms began after you began using birth control. Some of the symptoms that you relate could also be side effects of the birth control pill. There are a couple of special blood tests that are done to check your thyroid function and neither would be affected by your birth control method. Perhaps you should talk with your gynecologyst about the side effects of your particular birth control method.
 jat2011 - Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:52 pm

I take Levothyroxine generic for Synthroid (112 mcg) because of my thyroid problem. I started birth control not long ago and I have been carefully thinking about participating in sex. I was wondering if the medicine I take for my thyroid, and my other medicines [Fursemide generic for Lasix (40 mg), Nexium (40 mg), Lodrane (24D Capsule Sa)] could effect how the birth control works for me. Also, I am slightly overweight and I have heard that being overweight means the birth control will not work as good for you, is that true?

|